biopsy inconclusive???

17 Posts | Page(s): 1 2  Next 

biopsy inconclusive???

by jeannie73 on Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply

Hi all, got my biopsy results back, they where inconclusive. I have to go thru the fine needle aspiration again. Anyone else have to do this? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Jeannie

RE: biopsy inconclusive???

by glamrgrl74 on Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply

 

On 8/29/2007 jeannie73 wrote:

Hi all, got my biopsy results back, they where inconclusive. I have to go thru the fine needle aspiration again. Anyone else have to do this? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Jeannie


This same thing happened to my mom. She had a needle biopsy for a thyroid nodule, the 1st one had too much blood in the specimen, the 2nd one was inconclusive, the 3rd one was an actual tissue biopsy that incluced 9 samples of thyroid tissue, this one came back benign, her doctors were "baffled", the last one was a course needle biopsy which cam back suspicious of cancer, could also be Reidels Thyroiditis which mimics anaplastic carcinoma. To this day we reaaly dont know if she had/has cancer. She has undergone 30 treatments of radiation  we are still waiting for scan results. I dont trust any doctors.....

RE: biopsy inconclusive???

by Plink02 on Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply

Hello:

 I had one nodule on my left lobe. I had my first FNA in 07/2006 which was inconclusive. I had my second in 08/2006 at which point I was told there was "no way" it could be cancer. I got a second opinion and had a third in 09/2006 at which point they still couldn't determine if it was cancer, but that my left lobe had to come out. When it came out and was tested they determined it was Papillary Cancer.

 

I hope that helps. Best of luck :)

RE: biopsy inconclusive???

by Tcc70448 on Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply

I was told by three different doctors not to have the needle biopsy done because most of the time it was inconclusive.  After having the thyroid scan with iodine uptake, it was determined that the nodule was a cold nodule.  I was then sent to an ENT surgeon that told me that 85% of nodules are cold ones (cold means possible cancer, hot means it is just a goiter growth and cannot be cancer) but not to worry because it had less than a 10% chance of being cancer.  I had a partial thyroidectomy and a week later found out that I had follicular carcenoma so I had to have a second surgery.

The reason that all three of the doctors suggested not to have the needle biopsy is because they have seen many of times that a random selection of tissue does not provide enough or accurate information.  If someone tells me that they have a cold nodule, I tell them just take the thing out!

RE: biopsy inconclusive???

by jeannie73 on Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply

Thankyou all for your replies. The whole process is starting to get to me.....and I just begun! You all are very informative and I appreciate it.

Thanks again,

Jeannie

RE: biopsy inconclusive???

by lourdrie on Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply

 

On 8/29/2007 Tcc70448 wrote:

I was told by three different doctors not to have the needle biopsy done because most of the time it was inconclusive.  After having the thyroid scan with iodine uptake, it was determined that the nodule was a cold nodule.  I was then sent to an ENT surgeon that told me that 85% of nodules are cold ones (cold means possible cancer, hot means it is just a goiter growth and cannot be cancer) but not to worry because it had less than a 10% chance of being cancer.  I had a partial thyroidectomy and a week later found out that I had follicular carcenoma so I had to have a second surgery.

The reason that all three of the doctors suggested not to have the needle biopsy is because they have seen many of times that a random selection of tissue does not provide enough or accurate information.  If someone tells me that they have a cold nodule, I tell them just take the thing out!


TCC,

I posted you a response on 8/30/07 regarding your two surgeries and asking about your voice after the first surgery and before the 2nd.  Would love to hear from you.

Thank you.

Lou

RE: biopsy inconclusive???

by Grammie_Sue on Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply
Jeannie... Welcome to the club... I had a chest x-ray on June 9th as a pre-op test for a removal of a cyst on a ovary... I have copd... On June 12th my pulmonary doctor told me that a mass was found on my right lung and he expected cancer (I had a PET scan in February and this area did not light up)... my brother died 10 days later of lung cancer... so I had a CT needle biopsy done on the June 26th... inconclusive... on July 10th I had a PET scan and this spot is now lighting up... so on July 30th I had another CT needle biopsy done... inconclusive... on August 8th I had a brochoscopy... inconclusive... today I had an appt to have another CT needle biopsy done... the doctor decided against it while I was on the table and partially sedated... he feels this spot is smaller now... I have know idea if it is or not... but he wants to wait a couple of months to watch its progress... the three CT needle lung biopsies were scheduled at three different hospitals... good luck... this has been my summer... Sue 

RE: biopsy inconclusive???

by jeannie73 on Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply

Wow Sue,

   Sounds like you have been thru alot. I sure hope things get better for you soon, and they find out what is going on.

Take care,

Jeannie

RE: biopsy inconclusive???

by lourdrie on Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply

 

On 8/29/2007 Plink02 wrote:

Hello:

 I had one nodule on my left lobe. I had my first FNA in 07/2006 which was inconclusive. I had my second in 08/2006 at which point I was told there was "no way" it could be cancer. I got a second opinion and had a third in 09/2006 at which point they still couldn't determine if it was cancer, but that my left lobe had to come out. When it came out and was tested they determined it was Papillary Cancer.

 

I hope that helps. Best of luck :)


Plink,

Did you end up having a complete thyroidectomy?

Lou

RE: biopsy inconclusive???

by Plink02 on Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply
Yes, the surgeon removed the left lobe and tested it while I was sedated. Since it was determined to be cancer he then removed the right.
17 Posts | Page(s): 1 2  Next 
Subscribe to this message board discussion

CancerCompass Survey

If you were considering traveling for cancer treatment, which headline would you find more interesting?

Get $75 for taking a research survey

We care about your feedback. Let us know how we can improve your CancerCompass experience.