Lump on right side of neck. CAT Scan

47 Posts | Page(s): 1 2 3 4 5  Next 

Lump on right side of neck. CAT Scan

by AngelaZ on Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply

Hi,

I found a largish lump on the right side of my neck about a month and a half to 2 months ago. It has not changed in size as of yet.  I googled lump on side of neck and kept comming up with 2 possibilities, an infection or cancer. That scared me terribly, so I decided to wait a while and see what happens with it. Well, I finally went to the Dr. today and mentioned the lump on my neck. He felt it, and said that it "could" be because of an infection but since it has not went away and I have had it for at least six weeks he couldnt be positive. He then mentioned that it could be a cyst or a tumor. Then he mentioned Lymphoma. He said the likelihood of it being cancer was low. He then said I could wait a "while" (whatever that means) to see if it goes away or I could go ahead and schedule a cat scan. I, of course went ahead and scheduled a CAT scan. God knows I dont't want to hear the words cancer once I get the results but I am so worried that it is because the lump does not hurt, and no matter how much I try I can't get it to move.  I'm terrified, I have 3 small children ranging from 5 years to 6 months old, and i'm basically just freaking out on the inside. I have no other symptoms other than this lump on my neck.

I don't know what to do or think or what the chance of it being cancer is (even though the doc I saw said it was a low chance). Wouldnt he have given me an antibiotic or something if he thought it was an infection?

Has anyone else been through this before?  I'm scared, and would just like to hear others' opinions and experiences.

Thanks,

Angela

 ps. I am not sure when the cat scan is yet. They are supposed to call me with the date.

RE: Lump on right side of neck. CAT Scan

by Donald51 on Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply

 

On 10/23/2008 AngelaZ wrote:

Hi,

I found a largish lump on the right side of my neck about a month and a half to 2 months ago. It has not changed in size as of yet.  I googled lump on side of neck and kept comming up with 2 possibilities, an infection or cancer. That scared me terribly, so I decided to wait a while and see what happens with it. Well, I finally went to the Dr. today and mentioned the lump on my neck. He felt it, and said that it "could" be because of an infection but since it has not went away and I have had it for at least six weeks he couldnt be positive. He then mentioned that it could be a cyst or a tumor. Then he mentioned Lymphoma. He said the likelihood of it being cancer was low. He then said I could wait a "while" (whatever that means) to see if it goes away or I could go ahead and schedule a cat scan. I, of course went ahead and scheduled a CAT scan. God knows I dont't want to hear the words cancer once I get the results but I am so worried that it is because the lump does not hurt, and no matter how much I try I can't get it to move.  I'm terrified, I have 3 small children ranging from 5 years to 6 months old, and i'm basically just freaking out on the inside. I have no other symptoms other than this lump on my neck.

I don't know what to do or think or what the chance of it being cancer is (even though the doc I saw said it was a low chance). Wouldnt he have given me an antibiotic or something if he thought it was an infection?

Has anyone else been through this before?  I'm scared, and would just like to hear others' opinions and experiences.

Thanks,

Angela

 ps. I am not sure when the cat scan is yet. They are supposed to call me with the date.


 

  Hi Angela,

 I first want to say that you have every right to feel scared but be assured that there is help out there and if you have God in your life then all the help you need is already there to guide you through your new journey. Finding your lump early is a blessing in its self. Whether it turns out to be cancer or not. I pray it is not! You are doing the right thing by scheduling a ct scan.

 I too had a lump on the right side of my neck that I had noticed for years but never thought enything about it. Mistake #1. However everytime I would see a Dr.(rarely) I would mention it but it never seemed to be a concern to Dr.. I even went for a complete physical when I turned 50 to make sure that I was in as good of shape as I felt I was in. No bad reports. Less than a year and a half later I found out otherwise. Please read my story of my cancer. Google search dondealshow and if I can be of any help to you please feel free to contact me. 

 Stay strong, think positive and trust in God.

                                               Don

 

 

RE: Lump on right side of neck. CAT Scan

by AngelaZ on Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply

Thank you, Don, for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate it. I was glad to read your story and see that you are doing so well and that your treatment worked for you. 

I don't know if my lump is cancer or not but the lump is there and it is not deniable that it has been there for at least a month and a half since I first felt it.  How long it was there before I felt it, I don't know. I am scared.  I don't want it to be cancer, but I realistically know that "It" can happen to anyone.   It's just absolutely terrifying.

I go for my CT scan on Tuesday. I'm not sure how long it will take for the results.  I think I put off going to a doctor when I first felt it because I DIDN"T want to know. I just pretended that it wasnt there and that everything was ok. I can't deny that something is not right anymore though. If it is cancer, I want to know NOW so I can deal with it.

I feel like my heart is breaking into a thousand tiny pieces every time I look at one of my children or see my 7 month old daughter smile, just thinking that the possibility is there of cancer. How scary. It could be something non-life threatening and that is what I am praying for. I would rather it be a cyst or something like that. But, of course I don't get the choice. 

Anyway, thank you for sharing your story with me. I have not shared my fear with anyone in my family because I do not want them to worry unless that have to.

God Bless,

Angela

RE: Lump on right side of neck. CAT Scan

by atlantaflan on Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply

 

On 10/25/2008 AngelaZ wrote:

Thank you, Don, for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate it. I was glad to read your story and see that you are doing so well and that your treatment worked for you. 

I don't know if my lump is cancer or not but the lump is there and it is not deniable that it has been there for at least a month and a half since I first felt it.  How long it was there before I felt it, I don't know. I am scared.  I don't want it to be cancer, but I realistically know that "It" can happen to anyone.   It's just absolutely terrifying.

I go for my CT scan on Tuesday. I'm not sure how long it will take for the results.  I think I put off going to a doctor when I first felt it because I DIDN"T want to know. I just pretended that it wasnt there and that everything was ok. I can't deny that something is not right anymore though. If it is cancer, I want to know NOW so I can deal with it.

I feel like my heart is breaking into a thousand tiny pieces every time I look at one of my children or see my 7 month old daughter smile, just thinking that the possibility is there of cancer. How scary. It could be something non-life threatening and that is what I am praying for. I would rather it be a cyst or something like that. But, of course I don't get the choice. 

Anyway, thank you for sharing your story with me. I have not shared my fear with anyone in my family because I do not want them to worry unless that have to.

God Bless,

Angela


Angela,

I was reading through some messages looking for info on my Mom's cancer (Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma) and came upon your message.  My sister (47 yrs old) just located a lump as well and went through the same emotional rollercoaster you are going through.  There's nothing anyone can really say to make that feeling go away, but know that you are not alone.  The way your doctor reacted (seemingly not overly concerned) is the exact way my sister's doctor reacted.  He ended up doing a biopsy (pretty much taking the whole thing out) and confirmed that it was nothing to worry about...benign.

I don’t know if you are a person of faith…as Don and I are.  I just felt very compelled to write to you and let you know I am praying for you.  When you hopefully do find out that this was nothing life threatening…the good that will come is you’ll have a great outlook on life and family.  If it ends up being other, know that there are many treatments out there (which I’m finding through my research) with many success stories tied to them.  Stay positive and keep posting here to keep your sanity if you need to!

Again, I have faith that your diagnosis is not life threatening…and will pray as hard as I can for that outcome.

 

Brian.

RE: Lump on right side of neck. CAT Scan

by Silentabyss on Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply

 

On 10/23/2008 AngelaZ wrote:

Hi,

I found a largish lump on the right side of my neck about a month and a half to 2 months ago. It has not changed in size as of yet.  I googled lump on side of neck and kept comming up with 2 possibilities, an infection or cancer. That scared me terribly, so I decided to wait a while and see what happens with it. Well, I finally went to the Dr. today and mentioned the lump on my neck. He felt it, and said that it "could" be because of an infection but since it has not went away and I have had it for at least six weeks he couldnt be positive. He then mentioned that it could be a cyst or a tumor. Then he mentioned Lymphoma. He said the likelihood of it being cancer was low. He then said I could wait a "while" (whatever that means) to see if it goes away or I could go ahead and schedule a cat scan. I, of course went ahead and scheduled a CAT scan. God knows I dont't want to hear the words cancer once I get the results but I am so worried that it is because the lump does not hurt, and no matter how much I try I can't get it to move.  I'm terrified, I have 3 small children ranging from 5 years to 6 months old, and i'm basically just freaking out on the inside. I have no other symptoms other than this lump on my neck.

I don't know what to do or think or what the chance of it being cancer is (even though the doc I saw said it was a low chance). Wouldnt he have given me an antibiotic or something if he thought it was an infection?

Has anyone else been through this before?  I'm scared, and would just like to hear others' opinions and experiences.

Thanks,

Angela

 ps. I am not sure when the cat scan is yet. They are supposed to call me with the date.


Hi Angela,

I just recently went to the doctor with a lump on the back of my neck.  The lump has been there a while but i just never thought anything of it. The lump is about the size of a golf ball.  I guess over time it has been growing slowly and one moring i woke up and thought this isn't right so i went to my doctor. My Doctor doesn't think there is anything to be worried about.  He is sending me to a specialist to take a look at it and hopefully remove it.  The doctor mentined that the lump is Lymphoma and that the specialist will remove it and that there is a strong chance that it will grow back.  It may take years but it will come back. 

At this point i am terrified.  All i can think about is I have cancer.  I have a 7 year old daughter and she still needs her mother.  I've been searching the web trying to find information about what Lymphoma is? and how it is treated?  I'm still waiting to have my appointment with the speacialist.  In the mean time i'm scared and i don't know what to expect.  Its hard not to worry.  I lost my father to cancer when i was 6 years old and i can't have my daughter go though loosing a parent like i did.  I hope when i see the specialist i will be able to find out for sure what the lump is.

I am generally a very healthy person and i have no other symptoms but this lump.  I am scared too.  I hope all turns out okay for the both of us.

 Nicole

RE: Lump on right side of neck. CAT Scan

by BMuskopf on Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply

Hello,

 I read your post, and my heart went out to you.  I know how you are feeling.  It is especially bad when small children are involved.

I am 66 years old, and found out I to have lymphoma.  I have had NO signs, and NO lumps.  My blood work is fine.  They found the tumor when I went into the hospital to have my galbladder removed.  Right now, I am on my 5th treatment of Retuxin.

This is very scarry.  Everyone tells me to keep a good attitude, but sometimes it is very hard to do.  I try to live my life the same as before cancer, but it is always in the back of your mind.  Everyday, I think what if I don't make it.

I am finding myself finishing jobs, and getting things in order like giving things to people that I want them to have after I am gone.  In other words, I am preparing to die.

I have raised a 15 year old granddaugher.  Will I see her graduate?  Will I see her marry?  It doesn't seem fair, but then no one said life was fair.

People say to live life to the fullest, but really I haven't figured out what that is yet. 

I feel really bad, as last week driving my granddaugher home from school, I started to cry.  I unloaded a whole lot of my fears on her, they just came tumbling out, I couldn't help it.  There is no way I can take these back, and I know she is scared also.  I am not sure, what I can do at this point.  I don't want her to live in fear.

Bev

UPDATE

by AngelaZ on Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply

Hello and Thank You to all of the responses I recieved.

 

Well here I am in March and still worried about my lump (it is STILL there). I did eventually get my CAT scan. The results were that I had an enlarged lymph node that was benign. OK. So I went back to the doctor after I recieved the news over the phone to see what to do next over it. He said it COULD be cat scratch fever (even though I told him I had NOT been scratched by my cat..she's really old), so he gave me some antibiotics and he said to take them, if the lump didn't go away then to "just not think about it". Those were his exact words. Well I took the antibiotics and of course the lump is still here... months later. I cannot just not think about it. I think about it every day. It's constantly on my mind.  I have decided to see a different doctor, and insist on some sort of biopsy or blood work... anything. Oh, his explanation for the lump, if it didnt go away, was it could be scar tissue. The more I think about his words of wisdom to "just not think about it", I get really angry. I think of all the people out there who did end up having cancer, and had a doctor as uncaring and unconcerned as mine was, and lost time that could have been proiductive in stopping and/or curing their cancer. I am just mad at his attitude.

Back to my lump, It has not grown in size at all. And I have no other symptoms. But, I want to know FOR SURE what this lump is. I do not care what kind of pain I have to go through to get it checked out, This not knowing is driving me nuts, and possibly causing me to lose valuable time here. I'm praying that it is just simply a lump and not cancerous.  I honestly have been scared to get other testing done, and really just don't know where to go to since I do not want to see that doctor again. I WILL be calling a doctor on Monday to start the process of getting futher testing done over this lump. And hopefully I will have my answer soon. In the meantime, I am still terrified of what it could be.

Angela

RE: Lump on right side of neck. CAT Scan

by AngelaZ on Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply

 

On 11/29/2008 BMuskopf wrote:

Hello,

 I read your post, and my heart went out to you.  I know how you are feeling.  It is especially bad when small children are involved.

I am 66 years old, and found out I to have lymphoma.  I have had NO signs, and NO lumps.  My blood work is fine.  They found the tumor when I went into the hospital to have my galbladder removed.  Right now, I am on my 5th treatment of Retuxin.

This is very scarry.  Everyone tells me to keep a good attitude, but sometimes it is very hard to do.  I try to live my life the same as before cancer, but it is always in the back of your mind.  Everyday, I think what if I don't make it.

I am finding myself finishing jobs, and getting things in order like giving things to people that I want them to have after I am gone.  In other words, I am preparing to die.

I have raised a 15 year old granddaugher.  Will I see her graduate?  Will I see her marry?  It doesn't seem fair, but then no one said life was fair.

People say to live life to the fullest, but really I haven't figured out what that is yet. 

I feel really bad, as last week driving my granddaugher home from school, I started to cry.  I unloaded a whole lot of my fears on her, they just came tumbling out, I couldn't help it.  There is no way I can take these back, and I know she is scared also.  I am not sure, what I can do at this point.  I don't want her to live in fear.

Bev


Bev,

I am so very sorry. I know you are so scared. It's normal to go through all of those emotions, I didnt want to cry either, and often find myself crying in my bathroom with the water running because I do not want anyone to hear me cry.  I did not and do not want anyone to know that I am still worried over my lump. I just don't want them to worry unless it is absolutely necessary.

It has been a while since this was posted. I would love to hear an update from you. I will keep you in my prayers.

Angela

RE: Lump on right side of neck. CAT Scan

by AngelaZ on Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply

 

On 11/6/2008 Silentabyss wrote:

 

On 10/23/2008 AngelaZ wrote:

Hi,

I found a largish lump on the right side of my neck about a month and a half to 2 months ago. It has not changed in size as of yet.  I googled lump on side of neck and kept comming up with 2 possibilities, an infection or cancer. That scared me terribly, so I decided to wait a while and see what happens with it. Well, I finally went to the Dr. today and mentioned the lump on my neck. He felt it, and said that it "could" be because of an infection but since it has not went away and I have had it for at least six weeks he couldnt be positive. He then mentioned that it could be a cyst or a tumor. Then he mentioned Lymphoma. He said the likelihood of it being cancer was low. He then said I could wait a "while" (whatever that means) to see if it goes away or I could go ahead and schedule a cat scan. I, of course went ahead and scheduled a CAT scan. God knows I dont't want to hear the words cancer once I get the results but I am so worried that it is because the lump does not hurt, and no matter how much I try I can't get it to move.  I'm terrified, I have 3 small children ranging from 5 years to 6 months old, and i'm basically just freaking out on the inside. I have no other symptoms other than this lump on my neck.

I don't know what to do or think or what the chance of it being cancer is (even though the doc I saw said it was a low chance). Wouldnt he have given me an antibiotic or something if he thought it was an infection?

Has anyone else been through this before?  I'm scared, and would just like to hear others' opinions and experiences.

Thanks,

Angela

 ps. I am not sure when the cat scan is yet. They are supposed to call me with the date.


Hi Angela,

I just recently went to the doctor with a lump on the back of my neck.  The lump has been there a while but i just never thought anything of it. The lump is about the size of a golf ball.  I guess over time it has been growing slowly and one moring i woke up and thought this isn't right so i went to my doctor. My Doctor doesn't think there is anything to be worried about.  He is sending me to a specialist to take a look at it and hopefully remove it.  The doctor mentined that the lump is Lymphoma and that the specialist will remove it and that there is a strong chance that it will grow back.  It may take years but it will come back. 

At this point i am terrified.  All i can think about is I have cancer.  I have a 7 year old daughter and she still needs her mother.  I've been searching the web trying to find information about what Lymphoma is? and how it is treated?  I'm still waiting to have my appointment with the speacialist.  In the mean time i'm scared and i don't know what to expect.  Its hard not to worry.  I lost my father to cancer when i was 6 years old and i can't have my daughter go though loosing a parent like i did.  I hope when i see the specialist i will be able to find out for sure what the lump is.

I am generally a very healthy person and i have no other symptoms but this lump.  I am scared too.  I hope all turns out okay for the both of us.

 Nicole

Nicole,

All of these stories are so sad. It's really truly heart breaking. I hope things have turned out okay for you. Please let me know what happened. You are in my prayers!

Angela

 

RE: Lump on right side of neck. CAT Scan

by BMuskopf on Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply

Hi,

 This is my update: I am doing pretty good.  I had a last in the series of 8 on Christmas Eve.  A monteh later, I had a cat san.  When I saw the doctor, he said the Retuxin had done veryo well.  He told me the lumps on either side of my neck were completly gone.  He said the main cancer in my stomach had been reduced 90%.  He told me, this was the best results he had ever seen!!  I should have been elated, however................90%, ment I still had 10% in my stomach.

After that, I had my next onocoligist appt. in March.  He said my blood work, showed a slight increase, and it wasn't enough for him to start worring yet.

I had a booster chemo (Retuxin) Mar. 22.  The doctor told me, that he had changed his mind about my next treatments.  He had originally told me, he was going to do one treatment every months.......now he has decided to wait six months, and then do a series of 4 treatments, one every week for 4 weeks.He said he has found out this is working better.

So my next treatment is in Sept.

I still live in fear of what is coming next.  I am trying to eat healthy, and do everything right.  I spend a lot of time on the computer researching all alternative treatments for cancer.

Somedays I feel lucky, that my cancer is NOT fast growing.  Other days, I feel bad, as I know I will at sometime die with this disease.

I am lucky that the drug I am on, has No side effects to me, and I still have all my hair.

My daughter for Christmas bought me a new laptop computer, so I could take it to all my chemo treatment.  Most of them are 4-6 hours, so I really enjoy having something to keep me busy while sitting.  It sure maked the time go fast.

How are you doing?  How about an update from you.

Tracey

47 Posts | Page(s): 1 2 3 4 5  Next 
Subscribe to this message board discussion

Latest Messages

View More

CancerCompass Survey

If you were considering traveling for cancer treatment, which headline would you find more interesting?

Get $75 for taking a research survey

We care about your feedback. Let us know how we can improve your CancerCompass experience.