Breast cancer spread to bones

11 Posts | Page(s): 1 2  Next 

Breast cancer spread to bones

by Scared4MyMom on Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply
My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2003 and had a complete masectomy on her left side.  Another form of breast cancer developed on her right side in 2005 and she had a complete masectomy.  Now in 2009 her second form of brest cancer has spread to her rib cage and into her left shoulder.  She has been for follow-ups all the time but over the past year in '08 she had many repeated infections pain and weight loss. The doctors just kept passing her around but never suggested bone cancer until now...until the scans show how much it's spread.  How does this happen over night!? What is going to happen to my mom? Everything I read about this issue says survival rate is 2 yrs. Is this true?

RE: Breast cancer spread to bones

by wendyv on Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply

My sister-in-law was diagnosed with bone cancer (spread from breast cancer) in May 2001. She is still doing well, with a chemotherapy treatment that strengthens the outside of the bones (a bit like teflon). She has some pain, but also an extra 8 years.She lives in Brisbane.

Good luck, Wendy

RE: Breast cancer spread to bones

by shazza on Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply

Hi. I am so sorry to hear about your mum.  My sister was first diagnosed with breast cancer 8 years ago and had chemotherapy and radiation.  Six months ago she was diagnosed with secondary bone cancer. She has fracture in her sternum and 2 spots on her shoulder.  We were all devasated and thought that it was the end but according to her oncologist it is possible to live a long time with bone cancer.  She goes to a day clinic once a month for an infusion of some drug and is also on another type.  As soon as I can I will find out the names of what she is on and post them on here.  My thoughts are with you and your mum.

cheryl

RE: Breast cancer spread to bones

by Tam43 on Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply

I am sorry to hear about your mom.  I am coming up to 3 years with bone mets and it has been stable for over a year.  If she is er+ there are several drugs out there now that work great and with er+ cancers there are sometimes just as effective as chemo with out the nasty side effects.  A monthly infusion of Zometa (bone strengthener) and some mild exercise has kept me moving.. There is some pain involved so make sure your mom lets the docs know about that and they should be able to give her something to help.  I will be thinking of you both.

 

Tammy

RE: Breast cancer spread to bones

by Kbcns7 on Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply
I myself had metastatic breast disease to the brain, liver, ovary, and spine. I've had multiple recurrences since 1996, primarily to the brain and spine. Based upon what you said, your mother has not been treated properly nor has she been followed properly. If her doctors are saying she has nothing when she has something, the solution is obvious. Go to another doctor. My own first oncologist did not want to deal with my spine meta, and it took more than two years for the head of radiology to get him to admit that I had a bone meta. He should be in jail. The problem with oncologists is that they don't respect women, especially women of a certain age. I have taught myself to question, question, and question and demand answers of oncologists because if you don't, your mother won't get the treatment she neeeds. My experience with oncos is that they are lazy and the least they can administer you that's what they do. They answer to the director of the hospital or clinic or the donators; they don't answer to patients. This is a sad fact. I'm on my second oncologist and may go to a third because he claims there's no long term treatment for post-menopause breast metastatis. As to  your mother's longevity, two years is totally bullshit. Look at me: stage IV in 1997; still going strong.

RE: Breast cancer spread to bones

by eileen1 on Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply

Hi,

I believe the treatment you're referring to is Zometa administered IV approx. 1 time every 3-4 weeks.  It is prescribed for bone cancer or  cancer matastased to the bone from breast cancer or other.

RE: Breast cancer spread to bones

by HarryChin on Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply

 

On 2/13/2009 Kbcns7 wrote:

I myself had metastatic breast disease to the brain, liver, ovary, and spine. I've had multiple recurrences since 1996, primarily to the brain and spine. Based upon what you said, your mother has not been treated properly nor has she been followed properly. If her doctors are saying she has nothing when she has something, the solution is obvious. Go to another doctor. My own first oncologist did not want to deal with my spine meta, and it took more than two years for the head of radiology to get him to admit that I had a bone meta. He should be in jail. The problem with oncologists is that they don't respect women, especially women of a certain age. I have taught myself to question, question, and question and demand answers of oncologists because if you don't, your mother won't get the treatment she neeeds. My experience with oncos is that they are lazy and the least they can administer you that's what they do. They answer to the director of the hospital or clinic or the donators; they don't answer to patients. This is a sad fact. I'm on my second oncologist and may go to a third because he claims there's no long term treatment for post-menopause breast metastatis. As to  your mother's longevity, two years is totally bullshit. Look at me: stage IV in 1997; still going strong.

I'm afraid I can't offer any advice on the breast cancer issue. I do however completely agree with this assessment of the oncologists I have encountered.

I have a background in anatomy and physiology and understand medical terminology. I spend countless hours studying my mother's cancer and still her oncologist tries to convince me of things I know to be false.

He seems to think if he keeps repeating it in a stern and authorative manner he'll get his way, which has always been what will financially benefit him the most.

It's so important that you be your own advocate and don't let them intimidate you and push you around. That is so important. Arm yourself with information, get copies of medical records and scans on disks. I literally have to protect my mother from her oncologist. Sad but true.

RE: Breast cancer spread to bones

by Logicat on Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply

I too am a spinal mets victim, T 7 and L 4-5.  My brain MRI came back clean as well as all the other scans have except for my spine.  I am on weekly Taxol, monthly Zometa, anti-nausea drugs, pain killers and things haven't turned around.  I do not have the diarreha but I do have constipation.

My doctors are all wonderful, knowledgeable, highly respected in the cancer and medical world, and they even have a ridgid criteria for their nurses.  They are my medical support, my guardians and protectors.

I am a small person, 5' 2" and started this latest battle at 130 lbs.  I am now down to 105 lbs.  I've lost 25 lbs.  The pain is well managed as long as I'm not silly enough to try wearing a bra (it sits on the rib connected to the T 7).  But how do I get the weight and eating turned around?  I'm so afraid that I won't have anything left to fight with.

Logicat

RE: Breast cancer spread to bones

by jcr65566 on Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply

 

On 2/11/2009 Scared4MyMom wrote:

My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2003 and had a complete masectomy on her left side.  Another form of breast cancer developed on her right side in 2005 and she had a complete masectomy.  Now in 2009 her second form of brest cancer has spread to her rib cage and into her left shoulder.  She has been for follow-ups all the time but over the past year in '08 she had many repeated infections pain and weight loss. The doctors just kept passing her around but never suggested bone cancer until now...until the scans show how much it's spread.  How does this happen over night!? What is going to happen to my mom? Everything I read about this issue says survival rate is 2 yrs. Is this true?

Hi sorry about your mum I have prostrate cancer and I had bone cancer a year ago. Last scan bone cancer was gone  There one thing I cant under stand breast cancer is sex hormone dependent, so my prostrate cancer, and because I have prostrate cancer. I’m treating it with isoflavones from red clover, Im also on the Dr bugig diet of  flack seeds, and cottage cheese, no sugary foods, no milk, no red meat.  Why wont this  work on breast cancer my doctor told  me the same thing about breast cancer but he said 17month he the one who told me it is sex hormone   dependent I feel take away the hormones I think the breast cancer will die . please look up isoflavones. I know  doctors wont use sex  hormones on breast cancer as studies have show that conventional hormone replacement therapies increase mammographic breast density, But the isoflavone supplement did not increase mammographic breast density in this population of women tested . Furthermore, there were no effects on oestradiol, gonadotrophins, lymphocyte tyrosine kinase activity, or menopausal symptoms.

 

God bless you both and take care Ray

 

This is the results of a trial on mammographic breast density 

 

http://breast-cancer-research.com/content/6/3/R170

 

this is the link to a report on  the Budwig diet

 

http://www.cancertutor.com/Cancer/Budwig.html

 

RE: Breast cancer spread to bones

by angelface on Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply

 

On 2/12/2009 wendyv wrote:

My sister-in-law was diagnosed with bone cancer (spread from breast cancer) in May 2001. She is still doing well, with a chemotherapy treatment that strengthens the outside of the bones (a bit like teflon). She has some pain, but also an extra 8 years.She lives in Brisbane.

Good luck, Wendy

hi read your post we live in Brisbane to could you please tell me did your sister in law have small cell cancer

 

11 Posts | Page(s): 1 2  Next 
Subscribe to this message board discussion

CancerCompass Survey

If you were considering traveling for cancer treatment, which headline would you find more interesting?

Get $75 for taking a research survey

We care about your feedback. Let us know how we can improve your CancerCompass experience.