Salivary glands sore

9 Posts | Page(s): 1 

Salivary glands sore

by clarke on Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply
I am 1 yr out of surgery, 9 mos post RAI. I have had a soreness under my chin. Just realized there are salivary glands there. About 4 months after RAI, I had minor salivary gland issues ( along the side under my ears). Has anyone had issues with these particular glands, any helpful hints?

RE: Salivary glands sore

by Momma_321 on Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply
Oh, yes. I had salivary glad "freak out" 6 months after RAI. I Googled it and found out that 6-12 months after RAI your salivary glands can have a reaction. Mine got very swollen, sore and slow to release saliva. I had bad dry mouth for a couple of months on one side, then a couple of months on the other. All kinds of reasons for this. The salivary glands have some of the same structures as thyroid glands, so they pick up some of the radioactive iodine. Sucks though, huh? I took lots of ibuprofin and used warm and cold packs to stimulate the glands. Once they got working, they felt better. It will pass.

RE: Salivary glands sore

by tink2002 on Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply
yes. I had gland problems 8 months after RAI.  I used lots of warm compresses and then tried to "milk" the bland.  they open into the mouth, so start a bit before that and then gently rub in the direction of the mouth... It hurt quite a bit at first.  I also upped my "sour" intake....sour fruits like grapes at first, then lemonade and then lemons.  At first taste it was VERY painful, but gradually got better...and tried to milk the glands a bit after that, too... good luck to you..

RE: Salivary glands sore

by Sigh_1 on Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply

 

On 8/17/2009 clarke wrote:

I am 1 yr out of surgery, 9 mos post RAI. I have had a soreness under my chin. Just realized there are salivary glands there. About 4 months after RAI, I had minor salivary gland issues ( along the side under my ears). Has anyone had issues with these particular glands, any helpful hints?

Oh man, I'm right there with you!!  Had my RAI in Feb, and the salivary gland thing just started last week.   Mine are more in my cheek (that one's not so bad unless I touch it) and back by my ear/jawline area, which can puff up really big!  I've been doing the massage/milking thing, hot compress, cold water bottle, and trying foods/hard candies that make it salivate.  The food/salivate thing makes it REALLY sore, and it puffs up pretty good then, but works its way out. But you're talking about the chin area, aren't you?  Nope, don't know anything about those particular ones, but maybe what works for one works for others?

 

RE: Salivary glands sore

by KKathy on Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply

I'm 2 1/2 yrs past first RAI, and 6 mo past the second.  My parotid glands (salivary glands at the jaw hinges) are enlarged and tender.  Sometimes when I eat something savory they really are painful.  I had a course of antibiotics, then an inconclusive ultrasound.  I had a CT scan yesterday and await the results.

 Has anyone else coped with this?

RE: Salivary glands sore

by Sigh_1 on Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply

 

On 8/20/2009 KKathy wrote:

I'm 2 1/2 yrs past first RAI, and 6 mo past the second.  My parotid glands (salivary glands at the jaw hinges) are enlarged and tender.  Sometimes when I eat something savory they really are painful.  I had a course of antibiotics, then an inconclusive ultrasound.  I had a CT scan yesterday and await the results.

 Has anyone else coped with this?

Hi Kathy,

I'm walking through this right now--parotid glands on the left side, and one smaller one in the cheek.  I'm trying light massage--kind of a gentle "pumping" or "pressing" in a sidewards sliding motion with my fingertips. Have had warm tea a few times in the evening, and this seems to help--I swish it over to the side that hurts.  Have also tried applying a warm compress in the evening.  Today my mouth seemed really dry, which was new.

If you find anything useful, please share!  These suckers can HURT sometimes!!

 ((hug))

RE: Salivary glands sore

by KKathy on Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply

Happy me--the MRI was clear of cancer in the salivary glands.  I haven't tried warm compresses or hot tea, but will do so.  I think I might've applied a little too much pressure "milking" the parotid gland, because it's pretty sore now.  Either that or the iodine contrast for the MRI just exacerbated the problem!

I tried chewing gum, thinking that would massage the gland and promote saliva flow, but nearly jumped out of my skin from the pain.  Not pain from chewing, but salivating.

 It helped to know others have this problem, too, and especially when someone wrote that it'll pass.

RE: Salivary glands sore

by Sigh_1 on Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply

 

On 8/24/2009 KKathy wrote:

Happy me--the MRI was clear of cancer in the salivary glands.  I haven't tried warm compresses or hot tea, but will do so.  I think I might've applied a little too much pressure "milking" the parotid gland, because it's pretty sore now.  Either that or the iodine contrast for the MRI just exacerbated the problem!

I tried chewing gum, thinking that would massage the gland and promote saliva flow, but nearly jumped out of my skin from the pain.  Not pain from chewing, but salivating.

 It helped to know others have this problem, too, and especially when someone wrote that it'll pass.


Just wanted to add that my salivary gland issues seem to (mostly) have passed.  They got pretty darn sore for a few weeks there, but are much, much better.  Now I just get the "salt taste" when I rub my cheeks (like when washing my face) but no real pain to speak of.

RE: Salivary glands sore

by KKathy on Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply

 

On 9/5/2009 Sigh... wrote:

 

On 8/24/2009 KKathy wrote:

Happy me--the MRI was clear of cancer in the salivary glands.  I haven't tried warm compresses or hot tea, but will do so.  I think I might've applied a little too much pressure "milking" the parotid gland, because it's pretty sore now.  Either that or the iodine contrast for the MRI just exacerbated the problem!

I tried chewing gum, thinking that would massage the gland and promote saliva flow, but nearly jumped out of my skin from the pain.  Not pain from chewing, but salivating.

 It helped to know others have this problem, too, and especially when someone wrote that it'll pass.


Just wanted to add that my salivary gland issues seem to (mostly) have passed.  They got pretty darn sore for a few weeks there, but are much, much better.  Now I just get the "salt taste" when I rub my cheeks (like when washing my face) but no real pain to speak of.

I'm happy to say that it's been a week now since the pain vanished. 

 

9 Posts | Page(s): 1 
Subscribe to this message board discussion

Latest Messages

View More

CancerCompass Survey

If you were considering traveling for cancer treatment, which headline would you find more interesting?

Get $75 for taking a research survey

We care about your feedback. Let us know how we can improve your CancerCompass experience.