Thyrogen PET scan

12 Posts | Page(s): 1 2  Next 

Thyrogen PET scan

by ct123 on Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply
Anyone had a PET scan after thyrogen?  My doctor is looking into it as an option for me since TG is fairly high and going up and nothing shows up on my WBS.

RE: Thyrogen PET scan

by dinparadise on Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply

Yes, I just had a PET scan.  But thyrogen isn't used for prep.  thyrogen is used only for RAI; for maximum iodine absorbtion.  Actually the PET scan works with glucose absorbtion.  Cancer or abnormal cells will absorb glucose.  They give you an injection and let you sit for about 30-45 minutes.  Then they do a specialized scan of your entire body.  A PET will pick up any type of abnormal cells, clusters and cancer in most organs. 

My TG had been in the 50's since my TT in March of '08.  By spring of '09 my endo wasn't confortable with it.  It really should have gone down by then.  I did another round of RAI and scan to try to kill any remaining thyroid cells.  BTW...my stimulated TG was over 700!!!  My WBS was clean.  Normally that would be good, but that just told my endo that I had iodine resistant thyroid cells "hiding" somewhere in my body.  My endo had prepared me for the worst; possible chemo and/or heavy radiation as a treatment for possible metastasized cancer.  Luckily the PET scan came back absolutely clean.  What a relief.  It was determined that I had to have small microscopic thyroid cells of no importance floating around in my body.  Yes they were iodine resistant but of little relevance.

So don't panic....it may be nothing!  The PET scan was simple.

RE: Thyrogen PET scan

by hollybirdny on Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply

 

On 10/16/2009 dinparadise wrote:

Yes, I just had a PET scan.  But thyrogen isn't used for prep.  thyrogen is used only for RAI; for maximum iodine absorbtion.  Actually the PET scan works with glucose absorbtion.  Cancer or abnormal cells will absorb glucose.  They give you an injection and let you sit for about 30-45 minutes.  Then they do a specialized scan of your entire body.  A PET will pick up any type of abnormal cells, clusters and cancer in most organs. 

My TG had been in the 50's since my TT in March of '08.  By spring of '09 my endo wasn't confortable with it.  It really should have gone down by then.  I did another round of RAI and scan to try to kill any remaining thyroid cells.  BTW...my stimulated TG was over 700!!!  My WBS was clean.  Normally that would be good, but that just told my endo that I had iodine resistant thyroid cells "hiding" somewhere in my body.  My endo had prepared me for the worst; possible chemo and/or heavy radiation as a treatment for possible metastasized cancer.  Luckily the PET scan came back absolutely clean.  What a relief.  It was determined that I had to have small microscopic thyroid cells of no importance floating around in my body.  Yes they were iodine resistant but of little relevance.

So don't panic....it may be nothing!  The PET scan was simple.


I am so glad this had come up.  I am going through the same thing.  TT in August of 08.  Since then two RAI treatments, WBS all clean.  My original tumor was picked up on PET which automatically makes it more aggressive, but also microscopic in my case as well.  It is a wait and watch situation, although I know that 2 nodes have been since found on US and biopsied and come back positive.  The choice was given to operate, or wait and watch.  Sometimes this cancer just remains stable, but elevated, sometimes it is aggressive.   The problem is that nobody knows how your cancer is going to progress.  I was told that the chances of my cancer coming back after surgury are around 80%...but will that ever impact me seriously?? That is the ultimate question.  I would welcome any discussion on this>  Be well all of you. 

 

RE: Thyrogen PET scan

by Sigh_1 on Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply

 

On 10/16/2009 ct123 wrote:

Anyone had a PET scan after thyrogen?  My doctor is looking into it as an option for me since TG is fairly high and going up and nothing shows up on my WBS.

I had one of these.  Two thyrogen shots, 24 hours apart, and then the PET scan (can't remember exactly, but was another day or two...)  I remember they had to work backwards from the open PET scan appointment, so I ended up getting the thyrogen shots at my local urgent care.

I did fine on the shots.

RE: Thyrogen PET scan

by dinparadise on Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply

Thyrogen is not given for a PET scan; glucose is.  So I'm alittle confused on the last posting.  Thyrogen is used for a whole body scan (WBS).

Since my cells didn't show up on the PET, it was totally negative, my thyroid cells are not cancer.  They are iodine resistant and my TG (thyroglobulin) remains high.  In fact I had my first blood test since the PET yesterday.  I'm eager for the blood results to see where it's heading.  They are iodine resistant or else they would have shown up on the WBS with absorbtion.  But they are also microscopic.  So I am actually out of the woods for now.  I don't know how they would turn cancerous but I don't think anyone knows that answer.  I, like everyone else, will be monitored for life.  The benefit we have over others is if cancer returns, we'll definitely catch it in early stages.  That's the good side to all fo the treatments and follow up we will continue to go through.

RE: Thyrogen PET scan

by ct123 on Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply

Thyrogen has always been used with RAI scan, but now is being used with PET scan as well.  It is supposed to be a sort of ultrasensitive scan for thyroid.

How did yours work out Sigh?  Did it show anything you couldn't see otherwise?

RE: Thyrogen PET scan

by MelodyFaith on Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply

 

On 10/16/2009 ct123 wrote:

Anyone had a PET scan after thyrogen?  My doctor is looking into it as an option for me since TG is fairly high and going up and nothing shows up on my WBS.

 Yes, both my PET/CT scans included 2 injections of Thyrogen on the two days prior to the scan.  Thyrogen is also used before a WBS in lieu of going hypothyroid via withdrawal of meds. 

I believe that a PET scan is more sensitive than the WBS so it's great you are getting one.  Thyrogen is a fabulous tool.  Take advantage of it if you can!  

RE: Thyrogen PET scan

by MelodyFaith on Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply

 

On 10/16/2009 hollybirdny wrote:

 


I am so glad this had come up.  I am going through the same thing.  TT in August of 08.  Since then two RAI treatments, WBS all clean.  My original tumor was picked up on PET which automatically makes it more aggressive, but also microscopic in my case as well.  It is a wait and watch situation, although I know that 2 nodes have been since found on US and biopsied and come back positive.  The choice was given to operate, or wait and watch.  Sometimes this cancer just remains stable, but elevated, sometimes it is aggressive.   The problem is that nobody knows how your cancer is going to progress.  I was told that the chances of my cancer coming back after surgury are around 80%...but will that ever impact me seriously?? That is the ultimate question.  I would welcome any discussion on this>  Be well all of you. 

 

Holly, I'm in a similar situation.  I'll start a new thread regarding "wait and watch" and hope to hear from you!

 

RE: Thyrogen PET scan

by dinparadise on Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply

 

On 10/17/2009 MelodyFaith wrote:

 

On 10/16/2009 ct123 wrote:

Anyone had a PET scan after thyrogen?  My doctor is looking into it as an option for me since TG is fairly high and going up and nothing shows up on my WBS.

 Yes, both my PET/CT scans included 2 injections of Thyrogen on the two days prior to the scan.  Thyrogen is also used before a WBS in lieu of going hypothyroid via withdrawal of meds. 

I believe that a PET scan is more sensitive than the WBS so it's great you are getting one.  Thyrogen is a fabulous tool.  Take advantage of it if you can!  

That's new info to me; I'll have to do more study on it. I've always used thyrogen for wbs because you need the stimulation in place of hypo.  But PET scans are based off of glucose; not thyroid cells or iodine absorbtion.  So the use of thyrogen is confusing to me for PET scan.  I had the nurse explain every step to me as I went through it.  My understanding is that is all based off of glucose absorbtion.  I don't understand the part thyrogen plays in it and I obviously had the glucose injections only. 

 

RE: Thyrogen PET scan

by ct123 on Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply

From this article, it looks like Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) aids in glucose transport.  So going on thyrogen raises TSH which aids the PET scan by getting glucose to the cancer.

http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/content/full/89/1/91

 Sounds like the results were favorable.

12 Posts | Page(s): 1 2  Next 
Subscribe to this message board discussion

Latest Messages

View More

CancerCompass Survey

If you were considering traveling for cancer treatment, which headline would you find more interesting?

Get $75 for taking a research survey

We care about your feedback. Let us know how we can improve your CancerCompass experience.