by Rabeya on Sun Apr 08, 2012 01:07 PM
My mother's GBM diagnosed last year august.After her first surgery she goes through 30 days radiation plan along with her temo.Now unfortunately the bloody tumor comes back with the same size as it was last operated.The doc wants to remove it and also want to place a shunt so that her hydrocapulas problem can also be resolved.I am scared of this surgery,having nightmares that i might lost my mother or might she could have any kind of paralysis.
suggetions please :''(
by siblingof on Sun Apr 08, 2012 03:04 PM
by Rabeya on Sun Apr 08, 2012 03:15 PM
by passionfish on Sun Apr 08, 2012 07:46 PM
Oh boy, it`s always such a huge decision in deciding on a second surgery. May I ask how old your mum is?? Has she suffered any loss of movement in her limbs and last of all, how is her memory function? My sister never recovered from her second surgery but in her case the tumors were voracious or "angry" as her NO called them. However, it seems that the majority of folks who have decided on a second one end up doing quite well...
Good luck with the decision :-)
Adonna...sister of Marilyn..dx GBM 7/27/09 passed 12/21/09
by Rabeya on Sun Apr 08, 2012 09:34 PM
by passionfish on Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:48 PM
My sister recovered very quickly from the second surgery...It was the remaining tumor and how quickly it grew back....She just didn`t have time to recover..Your mom is young and being of sound mind is probably in favor of the surgery??
There could be an improvement as far as quality of life....I have read many posts concerning that...I`m so sorry, it`s a tough one...
by siblingof on Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:57 AM
by jon4156 on Mon Apr 09, 2012 01:18 AM
A very tough choice with so much at risk which you have identified. I will only say that the one common denominator I have seen with long term GBM survivors is that they have gotten the tumor out surgically. Whether it was one surgery or a surgery for each recurrence, getting the tumor out seems to provide the best outcome relative to the cancer. As you are well aware however, there are certainly risks associated with brain surgery that need to be considered. While it is rare to lose a life on the operating table, many patients do come out of surgery with cognitive or motor impairments depending upon the tumor location.
by Argos on Mon Apr 09, 2012 04:50 PM
I'm 54 years old with my first GBM completely removed Jan. of 2011. Just recently I had pains and numbness in my hips and thighs. There is now a new tumor right against the brain's liquid flow up from the spine. I'll probably have Avastin for awhile; maybe something else. No news yet. I'm devasted.
by joves on Mon Apr 09, 2012 05:28 PM
How does your mom feel about another surgery, I think that is the most important perspective. Quality of life and survival improve with surgery, but the trauma of surgery may not be worth it. I know my wife said that her second was her last. Short term the recovery was much more difficult the second time, over time she did much better.
When you track a discussion, you will get notified by e-mail if anyone else posts a new message on this discussion. Are you sure you want to track this discussion?
If you stop tracking this discussion, you will no longer get notified by e-mail if anyone else posts a new message on this discussion. Are you sure you want to stop tracking this discussion?
Did you or your loved one seek a second opinion before starting cancer treatment?
No, but we got a second opinion after we started treatment
We care about your feedback. Let us know how we can improve your CancerCompass experience.