How do lifestyle factors and exposure to environmental substances affect our cancer risk?
by canam on Thu Jun 07, 2012 04:16 PM
My mother was hospitilized 3 weeks ago for a elavated heart rate (A-Fib we found out) and while in the hospital her CT scan showed that she has a small mass in her lung. The Pulmonary Doc, ordered a PEP scan. The PEP scan showed "hot spots" in her left lung and adjoining lymph nodes. The DR. recommended that she have biopsy of the mass in her lung to get an exact diagnosis of cancer or not.
My mother turns 80 saturday, she has dimentia with very bad short term memory and is on oxygen 24/7 since the hospital stay. Other than that she is in good spirits and still wants to go for her daily walks.
Her primary/family doctor(who we trust very much) has already told my sister that it is cancer from looking at the PEP scan. So I guess my main question is, should we have the biopsy done and risk the complications that could go along with the procedure? We just don't want my mother spending more time in a hospital and her health worsening while thier. Just so one doctor can make 100% sure of his diagnosis, since her primary already has told us so. We are very confused right now. I should also add, that if the biopsy came back positive for cancer, we were not going to put my mother through treatment and let her live out her life pain free and as comfortable as possible.
Any advice and or past experinces would be greatly appreciated.
by childofcancerpt on Fri Jun 15, 2012 02:25 PM
I totally agree about not putting your mother through the treatments and let her live out her life. As far as the biopsy - I can tell you what I would do. If you and your family have made the decision not to move forward with treatment then I would not have the biopsy. My mother is 69 years old and I don't know if her body is strong enough to continue with the treatments and all the test that are to come.
God Speed to you and your family. You must love your mother very very much not wanting to put her through all of this it is tough decision.
by peppi on Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:29 PM
i would not put her through the biopsy. if they already know she has cancer and you are not going to have treatment, putting her under for the biopsy is a risk you needn't take. she would be scared about what they were doing and she and you have enough on your plate as it is. will pray for you and yours.
When you track a discussion, you will get notified by e-mail if anyone else posts a new message on this discussion. Are you sure you want to track this discussion?
If you stop tracking this discussion, you will no longer get notified by e-mail if anyone else posts a new message on this discussion. Are you sure you want to stop tracking this discussion?
Did you or your loved one seek a second opinion before starting cancer treatment?
No, but we got a second opinion after we started treatment
We care about your feedback. Let us know how we can improve your CancerCompass experience.