Loading...

aoife's Recent CancerCompass Activity

  • Aoife has replied to a post on the message board

    I had an endoscope that showed an almost total blockage in my oesophagus.  I was diagnosed in October 2006 and my first symptoms were in the previous March of a bagel sticking - for me it got bad very quickly but I was stage 3 by the time I was diagnosed.  An endoscope would be a good start, I had ultrasounds prior to that which did not show anything, Aoife

    August 23 at 10:07 AM view post
    • Aoife has replied to a post on the message board

      I had radioiodine as a 3 year old for an overactive thyroid, when I was 32 I was diagnosed with stage 3 oesophageal cancer, they thought that there might be a link so I was only given chemo and the surgery, no radio.  My daddy had an overactibe thyroid also so I make sure that he gets the endoscopes regulary, it does not help that he has Barretts.

      August 22 at 12:13 PM view post
      • Aoife has replied to a post on the message board

        Different cancer (mine was oesophageal) but it was a huge wake up call, the first 5 years were manic, I married and had my two children.  Yes, it has changed me hugely, I am far older than my 41 years but loving being a mother to my 4 and 5 year old.  I got a huge wake up call.

        August 16 at 6:03 PM view post
        • Aoife has replied to a post on the message board

          I know that they were planning more chemo post surgery and that the initial chemo and surgery normally does not get all of it.  For me it was a combination of the fact that with my surgery they found that they had got it all (they took out 20 lymph nodes as well and could not find any) but also I was so ill just post surgery.  He can get more chemo and they can get rid of the rest. Best wishes, Aoife

          August 16 at 8:16 AM view post
          • Aoife has replied to a post on the message board

            I was part of a clinical trial a few years ago (2006), I am still here, my late mother in law who had a different cancer got an extra 2 years from her clinical trial and got to see several grandchildren born including my two. I do think that when you are diagnosed with cancer it makes sense to get your affairs in order, I made my will when I was only 32 and finally married my college sweetheart. I know that it is v...

            August 15 at 8:28 AM view post
            • Aoife has replied to a post on the message board

              I was told that I had a 92% chance of dying within 5 years, my then new husband (we married 2 weeks post chemo) kept on telling me to focus on the 8%. I am now an 8,5 year survivor and mother of a 4 and 5 year old. Best wishes, Aoife

              August 14 at 7:20 PM view post
              • Aoife has replied to a post on the message board

                I count two things, my 'caniversay' is the date of diagnosis< I still make a big fuss about that, even over 8 years later because it was from then I could start doing something about it.  The date of my surgery also counts because I was so ill afterwards and it was the date that I got it out, the chemo before gave it a severe headache! My date is the 2nd October, 4 years later I had a 6 month old and was a m...

                August 14 at 5:56 AM view post
                • Aoife has replied to a post on the message board

                  I did not want to know about the compications that I might have but I did want it out.  I suffered acute kidney failure and had to be resussiated 3 times aming some of the complications.  For the first 6 months afterwards I wondered why I had done but then it got easier, the first month was worse than the first 6 months, the first year worse than the first 3 years.  I wanted not to be looking over my s...

                  August 14 at 5:47 AM view post
                  • Aoife has replied to a post on the message board

                    I still do, but I do not get dizzy that much.

                    August 02 at 12:07 PM view post
                    • Aoife has replied to a post on the message board

                      I am sorry with your diagnosis - I was diagnosed over 8.5 years ago and was given an 8% chance of surviving to 5 years.  You are not allowing in the statistics that many people undergoing this are older and if they die of another cause it will still be included. I had chemo and then the surgery - I am still here and I had 2 children post surgery.  I had the strongest treatments I could tollerate. Best wis...

                      August 02 at 7:59 AM view post
                      Loading...
                      Load more activity
                      Loading more activity

                      About aoife

                      Patient
                      Esophageal Cancer

                      Am a 41 year old Oesophageal cancer survivor who was diagnosed 2nd October 2006, I got married late 2006 just after chemo and had surgery 9th February 2007 and had a beautiful little son 2nd April 2010. I had our daughter on 1st June 2011. I sort of skipped my 4 year scan and had my 5 year oneish on the on 2nd of September which was fine and I have been advised to have no more scans. My Mother in law passed away on the 12th of February 2013 of late stage lung cancer. I also have a cousin who is being treated for esophageal cancer at the moment.

                      We care about your feedback. Let us know how we can improve your CancerCompass experience.