Help I’m 51 years old with metastatic prostate cancer

24 Posts | Page(s): 1 2 3  Next 

Help I’m 51 years old with metastatic prostate cancer

by Colma055 on Sun Mar 04, 2018 03:04 AM

Quote | Reply
Hi I was diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer on October last which had spread to the bones pelvis and spine. I went into a complete state of denial and panic and refused to accept the diagnosis. I refused all conventional therapy. I followed a Gerson diet therapy for 2 months with green juices carrot juices and coffee enemas. Much to my massive disappointment it failed and on a recent bone scan my cancer has spread to many other bones including my skull. I’m 51 years old. My youngest child is 7 years old (I have 3 young children). I think that the carrot and apple juices were too sweet and may have helped the cancer to grow. I want to survive. I only went on hormone therapy 1month ago and my psa has fallen from 137 to 9.5. I have changed my diet. I try to drink 4 ounces of wheat grass juice per day and 600 ml of green juices per day. Apart from that I try eat pulses and legumes, vegetables, fish and white meat. The oncologist wants to put me on chemo within the next few weeks. The chemo is called Doxatel. I think it’s well known. I’m worried about the side effects of chemo. Is there another way of keeping the metastasis at bay ? I’ve never taken as much as paracetamol my whole life. My wife and I have been doing juices and smoothies for the past 10 years. I’m completely against medication but it seems I have little choice if I want to live. Ideally I would prefer a 100 % natural approach or a combination of natural with conventional therapy. Im keen to find any natural approach that would help to reduce the tumours.

RE: Help I’m 51 years old with metastatic prostate cancer

by genemyers on Sun Mar 04, 2018 07:19 AM

Quote | Reply

There are many complementary and alternative regiments that you can read about on this site. Others will disagree with me, but my sole opinion is that for someone with metastasis to the skull, natural medicine will not have enough power to keep the cancer at bay; so I would combine it with conventional treatment (started right away).

Docetaxel (Taxotere) is quite tolerable, so do not fear it. It is not like old time chemotherapy. It can cause fatigue and other symptoms, the most common is peripheral neuropathy, but that can be reduced by a supplement. If the Taxotere becomes intolerable you can just stop it. Taxotere is usually given for 18 week and then you stop (6 cycles every 3 weeks). Please drag you doctor kicking and screaming into a discussion of all of the side effects of Taxotere and what the doctor will do to treat them. This will help you decide if you want to do this.

Another conventional treatment instead of Taxotere is Abiraterone + prednisone. It has its own side effects, but they are usually less than Taxotere. However, you keep taking these pills until Abiraterone stops working, which will probably be several years. Have your doctor explain why he is recommending Taxotere over Abiraterone, and the pros and cons of each treatment.

Another option is to just stay on the hormonal therapy since your psa has fallen from 137 to 9.5; and see if the psa falls to .01, and see if the next bone scan shows the lesions resolving. My guess is that your doctor feels that you have very aggressive cancer (we do not know your Gleason score, as you probably have not had a biopsy), so your doctor is trying to be very aggressive with treatment to try to get the disease under control. 

Best wishes,

Gene

RE: Help I’m 51 years old with metastatic prostate cancer

by raj_windsor on Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:29 AM

Quote | Reply

Wheat grass is good.  My mother diagnosed with stomach cancer stage 4 . She did 8 chemo and Tibetan treatment for cancer for 5 months.  She had pet scan last week and results are astonishing.  Cleared of 99 percent of cancer.  If you need reference I can give you.  

Thanks

RE: Help I’m 51 years old with metastatic prostate cancer

by Colma055 on Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:50 AM

Quote | Reply

On Mar 04, 2018 7:19 am genemyers wrote:

There are many complementary and alternative regiments that you can read about on this site. Others will disagree with me, but my sole opinion is that for someone with metastasis to the skull, natural medicine will not have enough power to keep the cancer at bay; so I would combine it with conventional treatment (started right away).

Docetaxel (Taxotere) is quite tolerable, so do not fear it. It is not like old time chemotherapy. It can cause fatigue and other symptoms, the most common is peripheral neuropathy, but that can be reduced by a supplement. If the Taxotere becomes intolerable you can just stop it. Taxotere is usually given for 18 week and then you stop (6 cycles every 3 weeks). Please drag you doctor kicking and screaming into a discussion of all of the side effects of Taxotere and what the doctor will do to treat them. This will help you decide if you want to do this.

Another conventional treatment instead of Taxotere is Abiraterone + prednisone. It has its own side effects, but they are usually less than Taxotere. However, you keep taking these pills until Abiraterone stops working, which will probably be several years. Have your doctor explain why he is recommending Taxotere over Abiraterone, and the pros and cons of each treatment.

Another option is to just stay on the hormonal therapy since your psa has fallen from 137 to 9.5; and see if the psa falls to .01, and see if the next bone scan shows the lesions resolving. My guess is that your doctor feels that you have very aggressive cancer (we do not know your Gleason score, as you probably have not had a biopsy), so your doctor is trying to be very aggressive with treatment to try to get the disease under control. 

Best wishes,

Gene

Thank you very much for your comprehensive reply. It has really lifted my spirits. My Gleason score was 7 when I had the biopsy at the end of October last. I did nothing apart from the Gerson diet until beginning of February and I ended up in hospital Accident and emergency. i had lost a lot of weight on the Gerson diet as I was sick all the time on it and my mobility was massively reduced. I was bed ridden for almost 2 months. I think I was stressed and it simply didn’t agree with me. The juices were very hard to take and as we have a young family, it put massive pressure on my wife and children. I was taking a lot of niacin to make the body detox and coffee enemas. It was a living hell. I was permanently sick with nausea and increasing pain. I had taken no medical treatment whatsoever until beginning February. So this had compromised me and allowed the cancer to spread in the bones. I do regret having followed the Gerson diet but I can’t cry over spilled milk. The past is the past. Thanks to the hormone therapy I have bounced back. My mobility is back but not 100%. I’m still not strong on my left leg. I can walk unassisted but I can’t run or walk fast or even use the left leg to lift my weight going upstairs. Is there a treatment I should ask for to improve my left leg, pelvis and hip area. Apparently I have a lot of tumours in my hip area. Also due to the hormone therapy, my left leg pain has greatly reduced. I almost have no pain. I’m very excited about wheatgrass as it might be an additional to my hormone therapy and chemo therapy. Do you think it might cause problems as the wheatgrass does cause nausea too ? I find it hard to drink. I also do try to have 600ml of green juices in the morning (made with kale, cabbage, celery, parsley, cauliflower etc). Thank you once again. Best Wishes. I thank you once again for your frank opinion.

RE: Help I’m 51 years old with metastatic prostate cancer

by tomatoman on Sun Mar 04, 2018 03:40 PM

Quote | Reply

On Mar 04, 2018 3:04 AM Colma055 wrote:

Hi I was diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer on October last which had spread to the bones pelvis and spine. I went into a complete state of denial and panic and refused to accept the diagnosis. I refused all conventional therapy. I followed a Gerson diet therapy for 2 months with green juices carrot juices and coffee enemas. Much to my massive disappointment it failed and on a recent bone scan my cancer has spread to many other bones including my skull. I’m 51 years old. My youngest child is 7 years old (I have 3 young children). I think that the carrot and apple juices were too sweet and may have helped the cancer to grow. I want to survive. I only went on hormone therapy 1month ago and my psa has fallen from 137 to 9.5. I have changed my diet. I try to drink 4 ounces of wheat grass juice per day and 600 ml of green juices per day. Apart from that I try eat pulses and legumes, vegetables, fish and white meat. The oncologist wants to put me on chemo within the next few weeks. The chemo is called Doxatel. I think it’s well known. I’m worried about the side effects of chemo. Is there another way of keeping the metastasis at bay ? I’ve never taken as much as paracetamol my whole life. My wife and I have been doing juices and smoothies for the past 10 years. I’m completely against medication but it seems I have little choice if I want to live. Ideally I would prefer a 100 % natural approach or a combination of natural with conventional therapy. Im keen to find any natural approach that would help to reduce the tumours.

If you click on my name, tomatoman, you will get my previous posts and also my image, which shows that last August I had a scan  which showed metastisis to skull.  

I have undergone Lupron therapy three series since 2012 but have not had any shot since June 2016, over eighteen months ago.  I am using nothing but tomato and V8 juice with success, I believe.  I will know more certain in the next few days because I was tested for PSA on Friday last and will get results soon.  Last PSA had risen to 4.3 in December.  Since then I have upped my lycopene intake frequency and I believe I have held the growth of tumors in check, and probably reduced them.  I also showed slightly insufficient D3 in December, so I add a bit of D3 to my lycopene intake.  I am 72 now.  Metastisis has spread over past six years to many spots but now it is in limited to spine and back area.  

I hightly recommend you try intense lycopene intake similar to what I have done, at least temporarily to see if it has effect in shrinking tumors.   

RE: Help I’m 51 years old with metastatic prostate cancer

by Colma055 on Sun Mar 04, 2018 06:54 PM

Quote | Reply

On Mar 04, 2018 10:29 am raj_windsor wrote:

Wheat grass is good.  My mother diagnosed with stomach cancer stage 4 . She did 8 chemo and Tibetan treatment for cancer for 5 months.  She had pet scan last week and results are astonishing.  Cleared of 99 percent of cancer.  If you need reference I can give you.  

Thanks

Thank you for your reply. Yes. I’m very interested in wheatgrass. Do you think it might help to reduce tumours in my bones. I’ve heard it’s slower to target the bones. How much wheatgrass did your mother use daily? I usually have 4 ounces per day. Is that too much or too little ? How often would she take it. Was she on a normal diet or vegan diet apart from that ? Did you grow your own wheatgrass or buy in trays already grown? I buy it precut in clear bags and store it in my fridge for the week. When you say your did 8 chemo and Tibetan treatment for cancer. What is the Tibetan treatment? I’d be very interested in any references you have or guidance? I have a good feeling about wheatgrass. I have heard it has amazing properties. Thank you. Best Wishes. Colm

RE: Help I’m 51 years old with metastatic prostate cancer

by curiouscharles on Mon Mar 05, 2018 07:39 AM

Quote | Reply

With bone mets you probably want to ask your oncologist about taking one of the bone protective agents, either Zometa (zoledronic acid) or Xgeva (denosumab).   One is a periodic IV and the other is an injection.  Their end results are similar.

Charles

RE: Help I’m 51 years old with metastatic prostate cancer

by raj_windsor on Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:11 PM

Quote | Reply

Follow completely vegan diet. My mother taking wheatgarsss powder organic.  

Which stage ur going through? I am helping everyone here. 

RE: Help I’m 51 years old with metastatic prostate cancer

by CalBear1974 on Mon Mar 05, 2018 07:13 PM

Quote | Reply

Gene,

My small quibble with your excellent response: inositol hexaphosphate can cross the blood brain barrier and there is anecdotal evidence, given a heavy enough dose, of IP6/phytate/inositol hexaphosphate shrinking gioblastoma tumors. The key issue is how massive a dose is required for this situation. I found that I had to increase my dose to at least 12 scoops (roughly 80 grams) of powder mixed in water on an empty stomach in a 24 hour period. With a Gleason score of 8, with 5 years+ on Lupron, my PSA went recently to its lowest ever level: 0.06.

RE: Help I’m 51 years old with metastatic prostate cancer

by Colma055 on Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:59 PM

Quote | Reply

On Mar 04, 2018 3:40 PM tomatoman wrote:

On Mar 04, 2018 3:04 AM Colma055 wrote:

Hi I was diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer on October last which had spread to the bones pelvis and spine. I went into a complete state of denial and panic and refused to accept the diagnosis. I refused all conventional therapy. I followed a Gerson diet therapy for 2 months with green juices carrot juices and coffee enemas. Much to my massive disappointment it failed and on a recent bone scan my cancer has spread to many other bones including my skull. I’m 51 years old. My youngest child is 7 years old (I have 3 young children). I think that the carrot and apple juices were too sweet and may have helped the cancer to grow. I want to survive. I only went on hormone therapy 1month ago and my psa has fallen from 137 to 9.5. I have changed my diet. I try to drink 4 ounces of wheat grass juice per day and 600 ml of green juices per day. Apart from that I try eat pulses and legumes, vegetables, fish and white meat. The oncologist wants to put me on chemo within the next few weeks. The chemo is called Doxatel. I think it’s well known. I’m worried about the side effects of chemo. Is there another way of keeping the metastasis at bay ? I’ve never taken as much as paracetamol my whole life. My wife and I have been doing juices and smoothies for the past 10 years. I’m completely against medication but it seems I have little choice if I want to live. Ideally I would prefer a 100 % natural approach or a combination of natural with conventional therapy. Im keen to find any natural approach that would help to reduce the tumours.

If you click on my name, tomatoman, you will get my previous posts and also my image, which shows that last August I had a scan  which showed metastisis to skull.  

I have undergone Lupron therapy three series since 2012 but have not had any shot since June 2016, over eighteen months ago.  I am using nothing but tomato and V8 juice with success, I believe.  I will know more certain in the next few days because I was tested for PSA on Friday last and will get results soon.  Last PSA had risen to 4.3 in December.  Since then I have upped my lycopene intake frequency and I believe I have held the growth of tumors in check, and probably reduced them.  I also showed slightly insufficient D3 in December, so I add a bit of D3 to my lycopene intake.  I am 72 now.  Metastisis has spread over past six years to many spots but now it is in limited to spine and back area.  

I hightly recommend you try intense lycopene intake similar to what I have done, at least temporarily to see if it has effect in shrinking tumors.   

Hello.  Thank you very much for your message.  I am on the hormone therapy for 1 month now. I'm generally feeling well on it. I have started to increase my intake of tomatoes.  I use a tomato sauce (about 500ml) from my local aldi store with white beans. Is there an easy way to consume tomatoes. Do you use the V8 tomato and vegetable juice made from Concentrate.  I notice its for sale here in our local Tesco store in Dublin in Ireland.  Its cost 2.30 euros.  Is it ok to drink juices from concentrate ?  Do you buy tomato soup for example as I realise there are usually potatoes in the tomato soups here. In the last week, I have a very mild headache. Its lasted a few days. Is this normal ?  Im a bit worried about the metastisis in my skull.  Did you get any symptons from it ?  I was hoping that the increase in the consumption of tomato juices might help.

Im meeting the oncologist tomorrow.  He will want to put me on chemo.  The drug is called docetaxel.  Would you go ahead with this if you were in my shoes.  Im a bit worried about increasing my acidity if I'm on chemo as I want to remain as alkaline as possible and then I cant use any natural approaches to cure/help my condition.

How is your psa now ?  How often would you recommend that I get a blood test ?

Thank you very much for your reply.  I will click on your name and check all of your previous posts.

best wishes for now.  

24 Posts | Page(s): 1 2 3  Next 
Subscribe to this message board discussion

Latest Messages

View More

We care about your feedback. Let us know how we can improve your CancerCompass experience.