NOTICE: As of June 15, this community will have a new web address: compass.cancerfighter.com. You will no longer be able to access the site at CancerCompass.com For more information, please read the full blog post.

 

"suspicious cancerous cells"

54 Posts | Page(s): Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next 

RE: "suspicious cancerous cells"

by Jason1 on Mon Oct 24, 2016 08:11 PM

Quote | Reply

On Oct 24, 2016 9:58 AM dragonjss42 wrote:

My FNAB just came back a few days ago and said it was suspicious. My Dr. is supposed to referee me to an endocrinologist do all suspicious results have to be surgicaly removed or will there be further testing.

I personally think it's ridiculous to have major surgery, removing your thyroid, and/or lymph nodes....on "suspicious" ONLY. Iv'e gone through all this and decided not to do anything on "suspicion". 

But that's me and many will dissagree....and just do as the doctors tell them, without doing as I did....and researching extensively before making up my mind!

RE: "suspicious cancerous cells"

by butterfly501 on Tue Oct 25, 2016 02:04 AM

Quote | Reply

On Oct 24, 2016 9:58 AM dragonjss42 wrote:

My FNAB just came back a few days ago and said it was suspicious. My Dr. is supposed to referee me to an endocrinologist do all suspicious results have to be surgicaly removed or will there be further testing.

There are two genomic tests you can ask about: oncoblot and afirma that may be useful, if not already performed.

RE: "suspicious cancerous cells"

by Brenda059 on Tue Oct 25, 2016 04:24 PM

Quote | Reply

On Oct 24, 2016 8:11 PM Jason1 wrote:

On Oct 24, 2016 9:58 AM dragonjss42 wrote:

My FNAB just came back a few days ago and said it was suspicious. My Dr. is supposed to referee me to an endocrinologist do all suspicious results have to be surgicaly removed or will there be further testing.

I personally think it's ridiculous to have major surgery, removing your thyroid, and/or lymph nodes....on "suspicious" ONLY. Iv'e gone through all this and decided not to do anything on "suspicion". 

But that's me and many will dissagree....and just do as the doctors tell them, without doing as I did....and researching extensively before making up my mind!

Great that you are not trying to sway anyone over to your point of view Jason1.

RE: "suspicious cancerous cells"

by Jason1 on Thu Oct 27, 2016 01:56 AM

Quote | Reply

On Oct 25, 2016 4:24 PM Brenda059 wrote:

On Oct 24, 2016 8:11 PM Jason1 wrote:

On Oct 24, 2016 9:58 AM dragonjss42 wrote:

My FNAB just came back a few days ago and said it was suspicious. My Dr. is supposed to referee me to an endocrinologist do all suspicious results have to be surgicaly removed or will there be further testing.

I personally think it's ridiculous to have major surgery, removing your thyroid, and/or lymph nodes....on "suspicious" ONLY. Iv'e gone through all this and decided not to do anything on "suspicion". 

But that's me and many will dissagree....and just do as the doctors tell them, without doing as I did....and researching extensively before making up my mind!

Great that you are not trying to sway anyone over to your point of view Jason1.

I agree, which is precisely why I said ""But that's me and many will dissagree"""

RE: "suspicious cancerous cells"

by joezz on Tue Feb 21, 2017 03:24 PM

Quote | Reply

Hello Jason I have been tested biopsy and it came back suspicious also I have a knot in my lower side left that could have cancer cells this has been in my neck for at least 4 years and I just thought I would have it checked out because I have medicaid so my question is how are now I'm just thinking the same thing to leave it alone the only concern is that it is causing pressure on my lower neck so removing it would help for this reason 

RE: "suspicious cancerous cells"

by Jason1 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 01:37 AM

Quote | Reply

On Feb 21, 2017 3:24 PM joezz wrote:

Hello Jason I have been tested biopsy and it came back suspicious also I have a knot in my lower side left that could have cancer cells this has been in my neck for at least 4 years and I just thought I would have it checked out because I have medicaid so my question is how are now I'm just thinking the same thing to leave it alone the only concern is that it is causing pressure on my lower neck so removing it would help for this reason 

Hi there,

I guess it depends on how much discomfort it is causing you. With me, I have no symptoms whatsoever, and my cancer was confirmed by FNA.

You'll have to decide if it's worth it to have it removed..vs..doing nothing. Of course it would be helpful to get a diagnosis, one way or the other. I hate the word "susipicious", and have told doctors just that.

Suspicious is not a diagnosis....and in my opinion, completely unacceptible. In MANY cases I believe doctors/surgeons only say that because they're too damn lazy to look further. I mean really, if it's questionable, keep looking. Doctors say it's a "slow" growing cancer, so no reason for them to be lazy!

RE: "suspicious cancerous cells"

by Brenda059 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 05:03 AM

Quote | Reply

Jason, it has nothing to do with laziness and everything to do with the limitations of the process undertaken. Some TC FNA's are inconclusive for a range of reasons, none of them being laziness.

If you have a suspicious reading and are unwilling to act on it, then you can have another FNA later on. But which one are you going to believe if you get two different results? This is the dilemma. I guess you can a third FNA and a fourth. Problem is they may all yield different results because science isn't always an exact science.

RE: "suspicious cancerous cells"

by butterfly501 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 05:23 AM

Quote | Reply

Suspicious diagnosis is part of the Bethesda System, not "being lazy".

From the guidelines:

To address a significant variability in the reporting of cy-
tological findings in thyroid FNA samples, the 2007 National
Cancer Institute Thyroid Fine-Needle Aspiration State of
the Science Conference provided consensus recommenda-
tions known as the Bethesda System for Reporting Thyroid
Cytopathology (99,100). The Bethesda system recognizes six
diagnostic categories and provides an estimation of cancer risk
within each category based upon literature review and expert
opinion (Fig. 1, Table 8). These categories are (i) nondiagnostic/
unsatisfactory; (ii) benign; (iii) atypia of undetermined signifi-
cance/follicular lesion of undetermined significance (AUS/
FLUS); (iv) follicular neoplasm/suspicious for follicular neo-
plasm (FN/SFN), a category tha
t also encompasses the diag-
nosis of Hurthle cell neoplasm/suspicious for Hurthle cell
neoplasm; (v) suspicious for malignancy (SUSP), and (vi)
malignant. Recent studies that applied the criteria and termi-
nology of the Bethesda System to a
large series of patients have
shown a relatively good conc
ordance in reporting FNA cytol-
ogy, with 89%–95% of samples being satisfactory for inter-
pretation and 55%–74% reported as definitively benign and
2%–5% as definitively malignant (101–104). The remaining
samples are cytologically indeterminate, including AUS/FLUS
in 2%–18% of nodules, FN in 2%–25%, and SUSP in 1%–6%.
The professional guidelines also have a handy flow chart and table that are very easy to read.

RE: "suspicious cancerous cells"

by butterfly501 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 05:37 AM

Quote | Reply

Suspicious cytology has nothing to do with anyone being "lazy". It's part of the Bethesda System: (the table is better read directly from the professional guidelines)

Table
8.
The Bethesda System for Reporting
Thyroid Cytopathology: Diagnostic Categories
and Risk of Malignancy
a
Diagnostic category
Estimated/predicted risk
of malignancy by the
Bethesda system, %
a
Actual risk of malignancy
in nodules surgically excised,
% median (range)
b
Nondiagnostic or unsatisfactory
1–4
20 (9–32)
Benign
0–3
2.5 (1–10)
Atypia of undetermined significance
or follicular lesion of undetermined
significance
5–15
14 (6–48)
Follicular neoplasm or suspicious for
a follicular neoplasm
15–30
25 (14–34)
Suspicious for malignancy
60–75
70 (53–97)
Malignant
97–99
99 (94–100)

RE: "suspicious cancerous cells"

by Jason1 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:28 PM

Quote | Reply

This is 2017, not 1950. Patients should not have to undergo muliple FNA's, etc, to get a conclusive diagnosis one way or the other.

Where is all that cancer "research" money $$$$$$ going?

Nevermind, I already know!

54 Posts | Page(s): Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next 
Subscribe to this message board discussion

Latest Messages

View More

We care about your feedback. Let us know how we can improve your CancerCompass experience.