"suspicious cancerous cells"

54 Posts | Page(s): Prev 12 3 4 5 6  Next 

RE: "suspicious cancerous cells"

by butterfly501 on Fri Jul 28, 2017 04:34 AM

Quote | Reply

On Jul 28, 2017 1:02 AM xreuzz wrote:

hi everyone. i am maricel 29 years of age from philippines.. when i get the result og my biopsy doctor said that i need to under go surgery as soon as posible..because "suspicious papillary carcinoma" means its cancer...i am so depressed right now...because i dont even have money to undergo surgery...i already go to medical assistance so i have a free surgery but sad to say there's no budget... i am so depressed i feel like i am hopeless how can i get over with this...my opinion or chance is to save money so i can under go surgery but i think it cost 1year to save or maybe 2 years...anyone can advice me please help me... or my life will be end this year?? i am so scared about this..because doctor said... :(

Don't know how healthcare works in the Phillippines and I don't understand what you mean when you state you have free surgery but there's no budget.

Anyhow, most likely you won't die from it anytime soon, but the longer you leave it, if it is cancerous; the more it will spread.

Good luck!

RE: "suspicious cancerous cells"

by xreuzz on Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:02 AM

Quote | Reply

thank you for your reply.. i mean there;s a free surgery..but the budget is not yet release so i have to wait 1 year more or less until the budget is release for the surgery..i dont know...government in philippines is sucks... i am confused maam why doctor cant give me a medicine? why she advise me to surgery?  right now its 2.4 cm oval found in my left lobe of my ultrasound ..or what you call that!...

maam i am so worried...

RE: "suspicious cancerous cells"

by Jason1 on Fri Jul 28, 2017 08:09 PM

Quote | Reply

On Jul 28, 2017 1:02 AM xreuzz wrote:

hi everyone. i am maricel 29 years of age from philippines.. when i get the result og my biopsy doctor said that i need to under go surgery as soon as posible..because "suspicious papillary carcinoma" means its cancer...i am so depressed right now...because i dont even have money to undergo surgery...i already go to medical assistance so i have a free surgery but sad to say there's no budget... i am so depressed i feel like i am hopeless how can i get over with this...my opinion or chance is to save money so i can under go surgery but i think it cost 1year to save or maybe 2 years...anyone can advice me please help me... or my life will be end this year?? i am so scared about this..because doctor said... :(

Hi Maricel,

First of all...."suspicious" means just that, suspicious. 

If i were you, i'd get a new doctor. He/she sounds like a fear monger, which unfortunately, many doctors are.

I have Papillary cancer, 2.1cm, diagnosed in 2015. They wanted to do surgery imediately, but after researching this cancer....I refused surgery, and all treatment. Two years later and still no symptoms, nothing, zero. 

When I was diagnosed, I was told iv'e likely had this cancer for many years, without even knowing it. If that's the case, i'll probably die one day from something else, not Papillary cancer. It was only found by accident when I went to the hospital for something unrelated.

The only thing i'm doing now, is taking supplements and vitamins. I feel better than I ever have, and rarely even think about my cancer.

I'm not telling you not to have surgery....i'm just telling you not to be too worried at this point. You too have probably had your cancer for many years....and could have it for many more years, without a problem. Many people live there entire lives, die of something else, and the pathology report shows they have Thyroid cancer. Prostate cancer is like that also!

Good luck! 

RE: "suspicious cancerous cells"

by butterfly501 on Fri Jul 28, 2017 09:05 PM

Quote | Reply

On Jul 28, 2017 11:02 AM xreuzz wrote:

thank you for your reply.. i mean there;s a free surgery..but the budget is not yet release so i have to wait 1 year more or less until the budget is release for the surgery..i dont know...government in philippines is sucks... i am confused maam why doctor cant give me a medicine? why she advise me to surgery?  right now its 2.4 cm oval found in my left lobe of my ultrasound ..or what you call that!...

maam i am so worried...

There's no medicine to give you.  Surgery and then possibly a radioactive iodine (I-131) treatment to destroy any remaining thyroid tissue.  But you have to get the thyroid removed first.

I would be worried, too.  In the US, especially right now, these are the fears we all have; not being able to afford treatment.

Best wishes to you.

RE: "suspicious cancerous cells"

by xreuzz on Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:02 PM

Quote | Reply

first of all i would say thank you for your advice sir.. yeah it cost a lot to get another doctor...and also it takes time to save money for my surgery...after reading this..i think i have nothing to worry about... all is i am thinking now is saving money for surgery or maybe to get a new doctor..thank you so much sir....really helpful...thank you so much sir...and god bless you

RE: "suspicious cancerous cells"

by Jason1 on Sat Jul 29, 2017 04:51 PM

Quote | Reply

On Jul 29, 2017 12:02 PM xreuzz wrote:

first of all i would say thank you for your advice sir.. yeah it cost a lot to get another doctor...and also it takes time to save money for my surgery...after reading this..i think i have nothing to worry about... all is i am thinking now is saving money for surgery or maybe to get a new doctor..thank you so much sir....really helpful...thank you so much sir...and god bless you

You're very welcome.

Glad I was of some help to you.  

Try not to worry as there really is nothing for you to worry about at this point, in my opinion. Besides, worrying will only raise anxiety, which is never good.

Time is on your side....and "suspicous"....could turn out to be benign. And even if it is cancerous....you've likely had it for years, and very slow growing since it's non aggressive.

Prognosis and success rates for treating this form of papillary cancer are into the 90's, even if you wait!

RE: "suspicious cancerous cells"

by Brenda059 on Sun Jul 30, 2017 08:07 AM

Quote | Reply

On Jul 28, 2017 11:02 AM xreuzz wrote:

thank you for your reply.. i mean there;s a free surgery..but the budget is not yet release so i have to wait 1 year more or less until the budget is release for the surgery..i dont know...government in philippines is sucks... i am confused maam why doctor cant give me a medicine? why she advise me to surgery?  right now its 2.4 cm oval found in my left lobe of my ultrasound ..or what you call that!...

maam i am so worried...

Hi Marciel,

I don't know what to advise in terms of payment for your surgery but I would advise you to be wary of advice that you receive via the internet. The advice you receive is from lay people who do not have medical training and who may, without intending to do so, mislead you.

Thyroid cancer is the most survivable of all solid tumours. Most people will make a full recovery after treatment and go on to live full and active lives. I had a full thyroidectomy 19 months ago and am in very good health - I take thyroid hormone tablets every day and have follow-up with my doctor regularly, have blood tests and have ultrasounds, but other than that, I am doing very well - so far. I say "so far", because thyroid cancer frequently returns, sometimes many, many years later. Hence the need for close follow-up.

There is no medication to treat thyroid cancer, as Butterfly has said. The treatment is surgery, sometimes followed by radioactive iodine, though this is being used less frequently now. I did not have it myself.

You mention that your tumour is 2.4 cms in size. This is moderately large for thyroid cancer. You did not mention your age. The younger a patient is the better the outcome. Patients over 45-55 statistically do less well than younger patients, but the survival rates are generally still very high.

I hope this information helps you, bearing in mind that I am a layperson too and not a medical specialist. Thyroid cancer is usually slow growing, so if you have to wait a year for surgery it may or may not be an issue. What does your doctor say about waiting that long? Thyroid cancer is not an illness to be taken lightly. Patients can and do die from it - sometimes even from tiny tumours - microcarcinomas - which yours (if it is cancer) is not. Go with medical advice, not lay advice. The Americans released new guidelines for the treatment of thyroid cancer in 2015. Links don't work well on this site but if you Google: American Thyroid Cancer Guidelines, you should find the document. It is 400+ pages long but much of it is accessible to the understanding of lay people. Take care, Brenda

RE: "suspicious cancerous cells"

by Brenda059 on Sun Jul 30, 2017 08:11 AM

Quote | Reply

I see in an earlier post that you are 29. The younger you are the better for thyroid cancer, so it is good that you have youth on your side!

RE: "suspicious cancerous cells"

by xreuzz on Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:10 PM

Quote | Reply

thank you for your advise maam brenda...the doctor said urgent i have to undergo surgery..but for me its hard coz i dont have a budget..so i post a message here so that if it is okay 1 year or more or less i can under go surgery..coz i will save up money... thank you so much! very thankfull...

RE: "suspicious cancerous cells"

by xreuzz on Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:13 PM

Quote | Reply

sir the doctor said that papillary means "fast growing"?? and  why you said its slow growing? i was confused...

54 Posts | Page(s): Prev 12 3 4 5 6  Next 
Subscribe to this message board discussion

Latest Messages

View More

We care about your feedback. Let us know how we can improve your CancerCompass experience.