Squamas Cell Carcinoma and Agent Orange

100 Posts | Page(s): 1 2 3 4 5 ...910 Next 

Squamas Cell Carcinoma and Agent Orange

by Debill1952 on Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply
Four years ago in July, I had my left tonsil removed along with many lymph nodes because of squamous cell carcinoma. Thanks to many prayers and to God in Heaven, I am doing very well. Had my last check up on June 8th, 2006 and everything looks just fine. Four years and doing GREAT! I am now looking for any veterans out there that may have had the same kind of cancer and were in Vietnam and have applied for compensation benefits from the Veterans Affairs Department. I have just applied, but my Service Officer said that I should expect to be denied the first time and then we'll put in an apeal. Has any one else received benefits from the VA for tonsillar cancer? And if so, can you give me any advice that might help me. I'd really be thankfull for any information that would help me in dealing with the VA on this subject.

Squamous Cell Carcinoma of Tonsil

by Carla_Rae on Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply
Bill: Oh my gosh. Just read your message on message board. YES YES YES, Phil has the exact same thing. He was in Nam in 68 and 69. He just had the same surgery one year ago. Did you ever have to use the black acid to remove growths on your arms during Nam? Phil said these growths looked like little hands/fingers coming out of his skin. We know for sure now that was from agent orange. But back to the tonsil... The VA just denied him for benefits. Believe it or not but squamous cell is not one that they compensate for. What the heck?????? We have put in an appeal. What is helping us the most is the local VA chapter where we live. There is so much I want to ask you. My email is --- Message edited by CancerCompass staff: for personal protection, email address removed. Please review CancerCompass Member Guidelines at http://www.cancercompass.com/common/guidelines.html ---- If you wish to communicate directly, please do so. If you don't want to, I will keep writing on the message board. Take care, and congrats on your 4 year Great Check up!!!! Carla.

RE: Squamous Cell Carcinoma of Tonsil

by Pitusa on Wed May 23, 2007 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply

 

On 8/9/2006 Carla Rae wrote:

Bill: Oh my gosh. Just read your message on message board. YES YES YES, Phil has the exact same thing. He was in Nam in 68 and 69. He just had the same surgery one year ago. Did you ever have to use the black acid to remove growths on your arms during Nam? Phil said these growths looked like little hands/fingers coming out of his skin. We know for sure now that was from agent orange. But back to the tonsil... The VA just denied him for benefits. Believe it or not but squamous cell is not one that they compensate for. What the heck?????? We have put in an appeal. What is helping us the most is the local VA chapter where we live. There is so much I want to ask you. My email is --- Message edited by CancerCompass staff: for personal protection, email address removed. Please review CancerCompass Member Guidelines at http://www.cancercompass.com/common/guidelines.html ---- If you wish to communicate directly, please do so. If you don't want to, I will keep writing on the message board. Take care, and congrats on your 4 year Great Check up!!!! Carla.

Hi, My name is Trish and my husband has just been recently diagnosed with Squamous Cell Carcinoma at the base of the tongue with Metastos to the the lymph nodes and cervical area of theneck on both sides with possible to the liver.  He is scheduled for a Direct Larynoscopy  and the placement of of a feeding tube on29 May 2007.  He was not affected with agent orange, however in 1994 as an acitive duty military, he was selected to go to Iraq as an UN INspector.  He did ans was very severly burned with mustard gas during the rovla of his mop suit that he wore wile destroying the chemiical weapons that many do not beleive Sadamm had.  I was very uoset to read your post that the VA does not cover Squamous Cell Carcinoma.  As we start this journey to complete diagnosis and staging and treatment, he will also need to have the VA appointments.   How can we send our military to these dangers and then not want to take care of them when they return.

RE: Squamas Cell Carcinoma and Agent Orange

by tuckaluck on Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply
Hello, hope things are still well.  I to was diagnoised with throat cancer.  I was in Viet Nam 68/69.  I applied for compensation and was also denied.  I think there are enough of us out there that we could sue the VA for compensation.  If that is possible.

RE: Squamous Cell Carcinoma of Tonsil

by jmcelha on Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply

I have been reading all of these messages and I just get more frustrated.  I am a Vietnam and Korea Veteran.  I went to Korea in Mar 68 as part of the Pueblo Incident buildup.  I worked for this Major that had me take him up to the DMZ and the Imjim River somewhere around Apr 68.  He was sightseeing but as a private I had no choice.  Then in Oct 68 I went to Vietnam for a year.  At first I was in Cu Chi with the 25th Inf Div then later on I was reassigned to Cam Rahn Bay.  I kept getting this rash which was dx as Psoriasis which could not be treated in Cu Chi.  In both assignments I travelled frequently all over Vietnam.  I spent a total of 22 years 3 months in the Army then medically retired in 1989 with a 60% permanent disability. I applied to the VA for benefits and was given a rating of 100% for unemployability. Prior to my retirement and after I was on methotrexate 20mg per week for a total of 7 years.  After pressing the issue a liver biopsy was done and I was removed from the Methotrexate.  It was destroying my liver.  I also appealed the disability rating from the VA and the review board in Washington, D.C. and was given a permanent disability rating of 100%.  Shortly after retirment I went through a Agent Orange Evaluation with a determination that non of my health problems were due to exposure.  Since retirement I have been diagnosed with Hypertension(High Blood Pressure), Conjestive Heart Failure, Enlarged Prostate, Urinary Tract problems, 2 heart attacks, quadruple heartbypass surgery, Type II Diabetis due to exposure to Agent Orange.  I requested the VA to add this to my VA records so it could be added to my Army records. I recieved a letter from the Portland Oregon Regional Office approving the addition of the Diabetis and reducing my disability to 90 percent.  Now I have been diagnosed with Tonsil Cancer with some growth into the neck and and I am scared not only of the cancer, the treatment, the prognosis but also that they may try to reduce my pension even more.

On 5/23/2007 Pitusa wrote:

 

On 8/9/2006 Carla Rae wrote:

Bill: Oh my gosh. Just read your message on message board. YES YES YES, Phil has the exact same thing. He was in Nam in 68 and 69. He just had the same surgery one year ago. Did you ever have to use the black acid to remove growths on your arms during Nam? Phil said these growths looked like little hands/fingers coming out of his skin. We know for sure now that was from agent orange. But back to the tonsil... The VA just denied him for benefits. Believe it or not but squamous cell is not one that they compensate for. What the heck?????? We have put in an appeal. What is helping us the most is the local VA chapter where we live. There is so much I want to ask you. My email is --- Message edited by CancerCompass staff: for personal protection, email address removed. Please review CancerCompass Member Guidelines at http://www.cancercompass.com/common/guidelines.html ---- If you wish to communicate directly, please do so. If you don't want to, I will keep writing on the message board. Take care, and congrats on your 4 year Great Check up!!!! Carla.

Hi, My name is Trish and my husband has just been recently diagnosed with Squamous Cell Carcinoma at the base of the tongue with Metastos to the the lymph nodes and cervical area of theneck on both sides with possible to the liver.  He is scheduled for a Direct Larynoscopy  and the placement of of a feeding tube on29 May 2007.  He was not affected with agent orange, however in 1994 as an acitive duty military, he was selected to go to Iraq as an UN INspector.  He did ans was very severly burned with mustard gas during the rovla of his mop suit that he wore wile destroying the chemiical weapons that many do not beleive Sadamm had.  I was very uoset to read your post that the VA does not cover Squamous Cell Carcinoma.  As we start this journey to complete diagnosis and staging and treatment, he will also need to have the VA appointments.   How can we send our military to these dangers and then not want to take care of them when they return.


 

RE: Squamous Cell Carcinoma of Tonsil

by jmcelha on Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply
Hello I read your message and I to have tonsil cancer just diagnosed on 1/18/08.  I am also a disabled vet.  I have multiple health problems.  What you need to do is contact one of the Veteran Service Organizations. Disabled American Veterans is a good one.  Or the one that helped me was the Paralyzed Veterans of America.  They did all of my paperwork after I was medically retired from the Army even though I was not paralyzed.  Good luck.  Also send letters to your Representative and Senator about the link between Agent Orange and Tonsil Cancer.  I personally feel that individuals in our government at the time Agent Orange was approved for use are criminally liable for all the pain and suffering it has caused.

RE: Squamas Cell Carcinoma and Agent Orange

by Deno51 on Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply

 

On 1/5/2008 tuckaluck wrote:

Hello, hope things are still well.  I to was diagnoised with throat cancer.  I was in Viet Nam 68/69.  I applied for compensation and was also denied.  I think there are enough of us out there that we could sue the VA for compensation.  If that is possible.

Hi All. My husband was in Viet Nam in '69 and '70. He was diagnosed with AML (Acute Mylogenous Leukemia) in 2/2000 and the in 8/2008 was diagnosed with Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the throat with Lymph Node involvement (stage IV). He's been thru massive chemo and radiation, he applied for VA benefits when Leukemia was added to presumptive list and was denied. We appealed and again was denied. We got with a VA consultant who does NOT work for the VA after the Throat cancer diagnosis and he is working on the case as he said it IS a presumptive illness of Agent Orange and is on the list. I would recommend working with someone other than the VA to help with your case.  I pray all is well with everyone.

RE: Squamas Cell Carcinoma and Agent Orange

by dejohnso on Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:00 AM

Quote | Reply

Just some info regarding the Institute of Medicine and research on tonsil cancer.  My husband was recently diagnosed with tonsil cancer and found out they are still researching tonsil cancer and agent orange at the IMO but don't have information on many vietnam veterans with tonsil cancer.  Please contact Mary Burr Paxton who is dealing the IMO study for the VA.  She will pass the info along to the VA and hopefully initiate further study.  So if you haven't contacted her please do so to get added to the list.  I contacted her by e-mail and she responded fairly quickly with further info. Her contact info is:

 

MPaxton@nas.edu , Mary Burr Paxton, PhD, DABT, Senior Program Officer, Population Health and Public Health Practice, Institute of Medicine, Keck 871, 500 Fifth St., NW, Washington, DC  20001, (202) 334-1731, fax: (202) 334-2939

RE: Squamas Cell Carcinoma and Agent Orange

by Mcb1979 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 04:48 PM

Quote | Reply

Good afternoon, I was reading some of your posts.  I am a Staff Sergeant currently serving on active duty.  I lost my father to the same cancer back in 2000.  He served in Vietnam for 2 years.  I have been trying to get a service connected claim so that my mother could receive some benefits.  I know that Cell Carcinoma is not listed on the Veteran Affairs list of Agent Orange diseases but I have recently learned of a case that went through appeals.  CITATION Nr:0304776 DOCKET #: 02-20 448, Appealed in Oakland California and full service related injury for Maxillary Squamas Cell Carcinoma.  The case was for a Sailor that had never stepped foot on Vietnam soil.  Look into this and use this reference when appealing.  Let me know how it works out.  Thank you for your service.  Army Strong

RE: Squamas Cell Carcinoma and Agent Orange

by jacqlyn46 on Sat Apr 28, 2012 01:57 PM

Quote | Reply

My husband was diagnosed two years ago this coming July 15th.  He had to have radical surgery of his left lower jaw, total removal from the mandible to center front.

We live in Montana, and I am actively fighting along with one of our Senator's offices to get Cancer Across The Board recognized by the VA where Agent Orange in Concerned.  I hope this finds you still well.

Do you by any chance know how many Viet-Nam era Vets have Squamous Cell Carcinoma??
My husband was in Peliku in 1970-1971.

Take care...GOD Bless.

Jacki

100 Posts | Page(s): 1 2 3 4 5 ...910 Next 
Subscribe to this message board discussion

We care about your feedback. Let us know how we can improve your CancerCompass experience.