chemo - life with or without

28 Posts | Page(s): Prev 1 2 3  Next 

RE: chemo - life with or without

by Headhen on Thu Jan 10, 2013 01:11 AM

Quote | Reply
I am going to write something most people will not believe. In June 2012 I was diagnosed with stage 2 grade 3 breast cancer. 6 weeks later I decided on a mascetomy on my left breast. I refused chemo, radiation or hormone theraphy. I knew I could heal myself. On jan 3, 2013 I had a Pet Scan. I AM CANCER FREE. No signs of cancer or metasis. I chose to do VIT C IV's 3 times a week, I became vegan, I do coffee enemas daily, I take supplements and I bought an infrared sauna I use daily. I knew I would never do chemo, the DR's could not believe I wouldn't follow their recommendations. But you have to believe in your heart what is best for you not what a DR says. I still have my hair and loving life to its fullest. I wish you the best and the greatest health.

RE: chemo - life with or without

by Debbie15207 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 01:36 AM

Quote | Reply

my husband has mulltiple myeloma and was diagnosed at stage 3.. he just received a stem cell transplant in sept. of 2012.. he had a shot and a pill of chemo for 7 months and then 2 high doeses of chemo 2 days before the transplant.. he is doing well and continues taking oral chemo now.. I asked hi if he falls out of remission would he do it all over again..he said he honestly didnt know .. he has achess consatntly... nut he is back to work and feeling stronger.. I think that continuing the chemo is a good idea as it does seem to give the person a better quality of life if not quantity..but like others have said..everyone handles it differently..good luck to you and your husband.

RE: chemo - life with or without

by douglas135 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 03:21 AM

Quote | Reply

On Jan 08, 2013 1:32 AM eternalife wrote:

Hello everyone,

We were told today, that my husband should continue to take chemo because without it, there may be a shift towards more tumour activity and growth. My understanding, chemo can arrest tumour growth, however it is toxic and kills otherwise healthy cells in it path.. so how effective is chemo, if only to extend one's life?? won't eventually all the good cells  be eliminated.. and is death and dying just prolonged by taking chemo?

Your comments are appreciated.

Is one able to work , while on chemo? right now my husband is tired 2-3 days after taking it and has little intention of returning to any kind of work, which is worrysome.

I took chemo for 6 months on a 3 day/month injection (full days); it did reduce my lymphnodes in 98% of the problem areas.  My immune system was compromised so much that I picked up a rare antigen that took 9 months to discover and start treatment.  I was in the hospital 4 times and could not get an answer to what was wrong with me, until my oncologist located the antigen.  I am on a 4 month program to deal with this infection that can cause tuberculosis.  I do feel much better now, and that is what I want to express to you.  It was miserable to go through the chemo, I was virtually worthless for a few days after treatment; and, got gradually better until the next one came up.  I could not have worked during that period, just too tired and very unstable.  After those chemo treatments and the recovery process with the infection I caught, I do feel much better.  If you can be patient and give it time, the therapy will help you have a better life I believe.  Your good cells will greatly increase over time, which makes you feel much better than before treatment.  I think death and dying are prolonged with treatment, but that sounds negative from the start.  You should enjoy each day and don't worry so much.  These doctors are so much more advanced these days, give them the trust and follow their advice.  I do hope you have many happy days together and get beyond this difficult time.

RE: chemo - life with or without

by donley on Thu Jan 10, 2013 06:04 PM

Quote | Reply

You should know about a drug known as Anvirzel.  It has gone thru several tests, mostly at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston.  It has been used successfully as a conbination therapy with various chemotherapeutic agents, as well as with radiotherapy.  Also, international clinicians have been treating patients on a compassionate use basis since 1997.  These clinicians have experienced a high level of success with disease stabilization, partial and complete remission, almost always accompanied by a very marked improvement in the patient's quality of life.  No negative side effects have been reported by clinicians with patients undergoing Anvirzel therapy.  In a study at MD Anderson in 2000, it was determined Anvirzel has the potential to be used in cemotherapy for a variety of human cancer types.  Please contact either Dennis Knocke (K-noke) or Joe Nester @ 877-822-7908.  The company is Nerium Biotech located in San Antonio, TX.  They will be happy to discuss your husband's situation.  Good Luck, Donley

 

 

RE: chemo - life with or without

by Rougette on Thu Jan 10, 2013 09:01 PM

Quote | Reply

Chemo is a double edged sword. While it kills cancer cells it typically destroys other fast growing cells as well....cells such as epithelial whch line the throat , mouth, nose, bowels and stomach are targetted as well. Chemo does not distinguish. The old adage for chemo was/is..."kill the cancer before you kill the patient"...rung very true with me....however I am here with relatively few side effects or long term problems....I have some hearing loss....numbness in my feet and fibroids in my throat (more from radiation than chemo I suspect. As a throat cancer survivor and a recipient of four different chemos , I know full well how "crappy" I felt while under their influence...I also know they are the reason I am here....I had been stage four squamous cell metastisizing....I have also heard GREAT THINGS about a fruit called GRAVIOLA....and the effects of organic RED PALM OIL....graviola is under study right now ....it is rumoured to be ten thousand times more potent than chemo ....yet targets only cancer cells by disrupting their ability to utilize ATP. (adenosine triphosphate ) the chemical engine of cellular activity.

RE: chemo - life with or without

by douglas135 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:36 AM

Quote | Reply

On Jan 10, 2013 9:01 PM Rougette wrote:

Chemo is a double edged sword. While it kills cancer cells it typically destroys other fast growing cells as well....cells such as epithelial whch line the throat , mouth, nose, bowels and stomach are targetted as well. Chemo does not distinguish. The old adage for chemo was/is..."kill the cancer before you kill the patient"...rung very true with me....however I am here with relatively few side effects or long term problems....I have some hearing loss....numbness in my feet and fibroids in my throat (more from radiation than chemo I suspect. As a throat cancer survivor and a recipient of four different chemos , I know full well how "crappy" I felt while under their influence...I also know they are the reason I am here....I had been stage four squamous cell metastisizing....I have also heard GREAT THINGS about a fruit called GRAVIOLA....and the effects of organic RED PALM OIL....graviola is under study right now ....it is rumoured to be ten thousand times more potent than chemo ....yet targets only cancer cells by disrupting their ability to utilize ATP. (adenosine triphosphate ) the chemical engine of cellular activity.

Thanks for writing this educated perspective, I will look into the suggested alternative treatments.  this comes across as very encouraging, I am always hoping for some breakthroughs, before it is too late.

RE: chemo - life with or without

by urostomate on Fri Jan 11, 2013 03:54 PM

Quote | Reply

Always be sure to research each alternative treatment before you buy. When I was diagnosed stage 4, my primary care doctor turned a 15 min. appt into a 45 min. one as he tried to console us and warn me about some alternative treatments that did more harm that good and robbed patients. He said prayer was my best treatment, for he had seen more people healed by prayer than alternative treatments. That was 4 yrs ago & I've been cancer-free for 3 yrs. I have been blessed with caring, praying doctors. I hope you have been so blessed.

RE: chemo - life with or without

by Fressia on Fri Jan 11, 2013 05:45 PM

Quote | Reply

On Jan 11, 2013 3:54 PM urostomate wrote:

Always be sure to research each alternative treatment before you buy. When I was diagnosed stage 4, my primary care doctor turned a 15 min. appt into a 45 min. one as he tried to console us and warn me about some alternative treatments that did more harm that good and robbed patients. He said prayer was my best treatment, for he had seen more people healed by prayer than alternative treatments. That was 4 yrs ago & I've been cancer-free for 3 yrs. I have been blessed with caring, praying doctors. I hope you have been so blessed.

How wonderful to have such a caring doctor, we too are blessed to have a doctor that is also very supportive, and truly cares about us. Praise God for all of his blessings. I wish you continued health and happiness and peace.

 

RE: chemo - life with or without

by douglas135 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 06:02 PM

Quote | Reply

On Jan 11, 2013 5:45 PM Fressia wrote:

On Jan 11, 2013 3:54 PM urostomate wrote:

Always be sure to research each alternative treatment before you buy. When I was diagnosed stage 4, my primary care doctor turned a 15 min. appt into a 45 min. one as he tried to console us and warn me about some alternative treatments that did more harm that good and robbed patients. He said prayer was my best treatment, for he had seen more people healed by prayer than alternative treatments. That was 4 yrs ago & I've been cancer-free for 3 yrs. I have been blessed with caring, praying doctors. I hope you have been so blessed.

How wonderful to have such a caring doctor, we too are blessed to have a doctor that is also very supportive, and truly cares about us. Praise God for all of his blessings. I wish you continued health and happiness and peace.

 

Yes, I am lucky to have had many people praying for me.  I know it has helped immensly.  The therapies have all been discussed with a real oncologist before any trial, that is a good suggestion you made.  I enjoyed hearing about some that are new to me, that gives me more to ask about.  Who knows, maybe there will be some progress made in B-cell lymphatic luekemia through alternative treatments.  That is my hope and prayer.  Thanks for your kind response.

RE: chemo - life with or without

by trisha50 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 01:36 AM

Quote | Reply

I am a breast cancer survivor and am only here to talk about it because of all of the treatment I underwent, chemo included.  My mantra has always been that a cure is right around the corner.  So my feeling has always been that I would always have preferred to be here for the cure, and that without treatment, it would not have been possible.  Despite the fact that we live in an imperfect world, I am in love with life and vowed to do whatever I had to in order to stay alive.  They have a lot of treatments that are targetted to kill only the good cells.  Maybe your husband's chemo is one of them?  I know people who have been on different chemos for many years and are living productive lives. 

I guess there is no good way to tell another person what is best for her or him, just to share our own thoughts and experiences.  Each person's choice is individual.  I know this however.   I would hope that my husband would be encouraging me to live as long as I could and would understand the side effects to the treatments.

Good luck to your husband in whatever he chooses to do.

28 Posts | Page(s): Prev 1 2 3  Next 
Subscribe to this message board discussion

Latest Messages

View More

We care about your feedback. Let us know how we can improve your CancerCompass experience.