Partners of HPV+ cancer

18 Posts | Page(s): 1 2  Next 

Partners of HPV+ cancer

by Roselvr on Fri Nov 06, 2015 01:52 PM

Quote | Reply

It's been years since I've been here. I had to step away from cancer. In 06 I lost my beloved dad to AML Leukemia as well as my father in law 6 weeks later from brain cancer that his Dr missed. Losing my dad helped me to make sure I would not lose my hub to HPV+ tonsil cancer. What freaked me out was when a beloved member here was 5 years clean for cancer; he tested positive for lung cancer. He was being treated by Hopkins, they could not help him. He left the board, a member & I used to google for his obituary. Scared the heck out of me when he passed away. It still brings tears to my eyes. That was the reality for my hub. His cancer could have also come back.

My hub was done treatment Dec 24, 2009; was a long year after chemo & rads; he then lost his job, times were really tough. He had times where he had super blisters on his hands from Lupus and a lip sore that was in his nose & mouth, the last time was about a year ago when he didn't sleep or eat right.

The reason I am posting is that I saw the gyno a few weeks ago. I'm in the process of my 2nd round of biopsies; my HPV test has shown small amounts of HPV. All it says is that it's positive, but not which strain. My Dr thinks my body is fighting HPV 16 since that's what my hubs tonsil cancer was.

I'm not sure what the chances are for HPV causing cancer. I'm on the National Cancer Institute's web site,HPV and cancerit says 50% or less; but my opinion is they do not know.

Female spouses, make sure you go to the gyno to be tested.

RE: Partners of HPV+ cancer

by Roselvr on Fri Nov 06, 2015 01:56 PM

Quote | Reply

The link didn't copy over - National Cancer Institute's web site HPV and cancer

http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/in

RE: Partners of HPV+ cancer

by Cmel369423 on Mon Nov 09, 2015 07:21 AM

Quote | Reply
I have been with my husband for 23 years when he got diagnosed with SSC HPV 16 related I was sure it was me who gave it to him. Well I recently went for my yearly visit with the gyno and found out that I was negative for HPV 16. I wished I had known that because since February 27, 2015 i felt awful that I passed it to him. He is now recovering from 35 radiations And 7 erbitux chemos. He just had reconstruction surgery at Mt Sinai in NYC of his base of his tongue as well as tonsil area. the surgery was 8 hours long and he was cut up pretty bad. The good news is however that he has gotten his tracheotomy removed and is healing slowly but steadily. He has had a feeding tube since diagnosis he is just again starting to swallow liquids. This cancer sucks so badly and I wish anyone who is diagnosed with the super strength you will need to fight it.

RE: Partners of HPV+ cancer

by gr0619064 on Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:09 AM

Quote | Reply

On Nov 06, 2015 1:52 PM Roselvr wrote:

It's been years since I've been here. I had to step away from cancer. In 06 I lost my beloved dad to AML Leukemia as well as my father in law 6 weeks later from brain cancer that his Dr missed. Losing my dad helped me to make sure I would not lose my hub to HPV+ tonsil cancer. What freaked me out was when a beloved member here was 5 years clean for cancer; he tested positive for lung cancer. He was being treated by Hopkins, they could not help him. He left the board, a member & I used to google for his obituary. Scared the heck out of me when he passed away. It still brings tears to my eyes. That was the reality for my hub. His cancer could have also come back.

My hub was done treatment Dec 24, 2009; was a long year after chemo & rads; he then lost his job, times were really tough. He had times where he had super blisters on his hands from Lupus and a lip sore that was in his nose & mouth, the last time was about a year ago when he didn't sleep or eat right.

The reason I am posting is that I saw the gyno a few weeks ago. I'm in the process of my 2nd round of biopsies; my HPV test has shown small amounts of HPV. All it says is that it's positive, but not which strain. My Dr thinks my body is fighting HPV 16 since that's what my hubs tonsil cancer was.

I'm not sure what the chances are for HPV causing cancer. I'm on the National Cancer Institute's web site,HPV and cancerit says 50% or less; but my opinion is they do not know.

Female spouses, make sure you go to the gyno to be tested.

Hi Roselvr

I had HPV BOT stage 4b-Diagnosed almost 4 yrs ago. I have been with my wife for 45 years --she flipped out when it was dicovered what caused my cancer. We went right to her OBGYN and had her tested. Her DR told her he has been tseting for STD every yeard she goes for a check up as part of routine exam--she tseted negative. She was shore that I was running around. My onocolgist told her that I could have had this virus fro 40 to 50 years. I am 65. almost 805 of us have it especially men. It lied dormant for that long. Your body usually fights it off but certain things make it develop. I was under extreme stress back then and it just appeared out of nowhere. It was one thing that we never knew about back in late 60's and 70's.

good luck

gary

RE: Partners of HPV+ cancer

by Roselvr on Thu Jan 07, 2016 08:55 PM

Quote | Reply

On Nov 09, 2015 7:21 AM Cmel369423 wrote:

I have been with my husband for 23 years when he got diagnosed with SSC HPV 16 related I was sure it was me who gave it to him. Well I recently went for my yearly visit with the gyno and found out that I was negative for HPV 16. I wished I had known that because since February 27, 2015 i felt awful that I passed it to him. He is now recovering from 35 radiations And 7 erbitux chemos. He just had reconstruction surgery at Mt Sinai in NYC of his base of his tongue as well as tonsil area. the surgery was 8 hours long and he was cut up pretty bad. The good news is however that he has gotten his tracheotomy removed and is healing slowly but steadily. He has had a feeding tube since diagnosis he is just again starting to swallow liquids. This cancer sucks so badly and I wish anyone who is diagnosed with the super strength you will need to fight it.

Sorry for how long it's taken me to get back here. For some reason I'm not able to type in the reply box from my cell. Glad he is recovering. My hub had his right tonsil, golf ball sized tumor plus a dozen lymph nodes and feeding tube; healed for a few weeks then did chemo & radiation. The feeding tube stayed in 6 months. He was very depressed because food tasted bad; so he wouldn't try to eat. What saved him was drinking water. It's very important that they continue to swallow.

Please make sure you continue to be tested for HPV. I don't know what the odds are on how many of us will also get it.

Sending hugs as I know how hard it is to watch your hub go through this

RE: Partners of HPV+ cancer

by Roselvr on Thu Jan 07, 2016 09:01 PM

Quote | Reply

On Nov 09, 2015 10:09 AM gr0619064 wrote:

On Nov 06, 2015 1:52 PM Roselvr wrote:

It's been years since I've been here. I had to step away from cancer. In 06 I lost my beloved dad to AML Leukemia as well as my father in law 6 weeks later from brain cancer that his Dr missed. Losing my dad helped me to make sure I would not lose my hub to HPV+ tonsil cancer. What freaked me out was when a beloved member here was 5 years clean for cancer; he tested positive for lung cancer. He was being treated by Hopkins, they could not help him. He left the board, a member & I used to google for his obituary. Scared the heck out of me when he passed away. It still brings tears to my eyes. That was the reality for my hub. His cancer could have also come back.

My hub was done treatment Dec 24, 2009; was a long year after chemo & rads; he then lost his job, times were really tough. He had times where he had super blisters on his hands from Lupus and a lip sore that was in his nose & mouth, the last time was about a year ago when he didn't sleep or eat right.

The reason I am posting is that I saw the gyno a few weeks ago. I'm in the process of my 2nd round of biopsies; my HPV test has shown small amounts of HPV. All it says is that it's positive, but not which strain. My Dr thinks my body is fighting HPV 16 since that's what my hubs tonsil cancer was.

I'm not sure what the chances are for HPV causing cancer. I'm on the National Cancer Institute's web site,HPV and cancerit says 50% or less; but my opinion is they do not know.

Female spouses, make sure you go to the gyno to be tested.

Hi Roselvr

I had HPV BOT stage 4b-Diagnosed almost 4 yrs ago. I have been with my wife for 45 years --she flipped out when it was dicovered what caused my cancer. We went right to her OBGYN and had her tested. Her DR told her he has been tseting for STD every yeard she goes for a check up as part of routine exam--she tseted negative. She was shore that I was running around. My onocolgist told her that I could have had this virus fro 40 to 50 years. I am 65. almost 805 of us have it especially men. It lied dormant for that long. Your body usually fights it off but certain things make it develop. I was under extreme stress back then and it just appeared out of nowhere. It was one thing that we never knew about back in late 60's and 70's.

good luck

gary

I'm glad that they know more about this cancer now then they did back in 09 when my hub fought. A few years ago someone that was married 50+ years had it too.

Back then, a lot that had gotten it had a weakened immune system due to being sick, stress, not eating/ sleeping right. I'm usually a healthy person but have been getting the flu (knock wood) the last 2 or 3 years since nearing 50. I haven't gotten it this season and am hoping I don't. I hope my body keeps fighting the HPV. Glad your wife gets tested.

RE: Partners of HPV+ cancer

by us2survivors on Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:01 PM

Quote | Reply

I've heard that 80% of the population has HPV but only 4% or so actually get cancer, so chances of getting it are very rare. Not sure if that's true for cervical HPV. I have heard, too, that it is usually fought off by the body unless you are run down. It can be passed back and forth between long time couples, so it might have been present at one time, then gone when tested, so it's hard to say. I know I had cervical HPV way back when and had to be treated for it. You have no idea (or maybe you do) how shocked and depressed I was knowing it was my fault my husband had HPV cancer that almost killed him. It was devastating. But you realize that you have to look forward, not back, and deal with the task at hand. Maybe one day everyone will be immunized so that no one will ever have to suffer through this awful disease. There is no way to screen for it until it just rears its ugly head at stage 4. So yes, I will be asking my GYN about stepped up screening for those women whose partners had HPV. One thing's for sure - it's here to stay. One doc said that it becomes a part of your DNA, so it's really scary stuff. If I had a young person in the family, I would encourage vacination. 

Best of luck to you all!

RE: Partners of HPV+ cancer

by Sdurnell on Fri Jan 08, 2016 06:24 AM

Quote | Reply

The blame game will get us nowhere--no one should beat him- or herself up over this.  Either partner could be the original "carrier."  It's just as likely that a husband would give his wife the HPV virus as the other way around.  These viruses usually don't last long, but on the other hand in some cases they may stay in one's system for a very long time.

But it does really make the case for immunization stronger.  

Susan

RE: Partners of HPV+ cancer

by Roselvr on Wed Jan 13, 2016 06:44 PM

Quote | Reply

On Jan 07, 2016 11:01 PM us2survivors wrote:

I've heard that 80% of the population has HPV but only 4% or so actually get cancer, so chances of getting it are very rare. Not sure if that's true for cervical HPV. I have heard, too, that it is usually fought off by the body unless you are run down. It can be passed back and forth between long time couples, so it might have been present at one time, then gone when tested, so it's hard to say. I know I had cervical HPV way back when and had to be treated for it. You have no idea (or maybe you do) how shocked and depressed I was knowing it was my fault my husband had HPV cancer that almost killed him. It was devastating. But you realize that you have to look forward, not back, and deal with the task at hand. Maybe one day everyone will be immunized so that no one will ever have to suffer through this awful disease. There is no way to screen for it until it just rears its ugly head at stage 4. So yes, I will be asking my GYN about stepped up screening for those women whose partners had HPV. One thing's for sure - it's here to stay. One doc said that it becomes a part of your DNA, so it's really scary stuff. If I had a young person in the family, I would encourage vacination. 

Best of luck to you all!

Please be careful with the vaccine as not everyone should get it. We chose not to get it for my daughter because at the time she was maving a lot of medical issues which turned out to be Chiari Malformation with a connective tissue disorder along with heart issues. If a person has joint or muscle pain or suffers headaches, they should think twice before getting it.

RE: Partners of HPV+ cancer

by Sdurnell on Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:05 AM

Quote | Reply

I hope your daughter doesn't have to go through either the cancer your husband faced or your current worries.  I'd be interested in what the reasons are her doctor is advising against the HPV vaccine for her, as I've not heard of that before.  Everything I've read from a reputable source says that it's safe, and studies show it's quite effective even when the series is not completed.

Susan

18 Posts | Page(s): 1 2  Next 
Subscribe to this message board discussion

Latest Messages

View More

We care about your feedback. Let us know how we can improve your CancerCompass experience.