Loading...

monicawoler's Message Board Messages

Loading...
Showing 1 - 10 of 5

Page 1 of 1

My 84 year old Mother was diagnosed with Stage 3 Bile Duct cancer 2 years ago.  She was overweight, that being her only health issue.  She had a liver resection and and chemo and she healed up very well.  The chemo was a but rough and she had 3 blood transfusions during the course of treatment and on a few occasions needed to be rehydrated and postpone the chemo.  She is tough and is a fighter and she is doing extrememly well.  She lost about 50 pounds.  She has had life long stomache issues which have gotten worse but she is managing.  My thought and prayers are with you and please don't hesitate to reach out to me if you want any additional information.  It is truely a very personal decision and I do hope that you have the support of your family and friends.  I advocated for my Mom and was present at her doctor visits and some treatments.  I review all of her test results and go over everything with her doctors.  I think it helped her a lot to have an advocate.

Hi,

My 82 year old Mom had a liver resection and 6 cycles of chemo (Cis-Gemzar). She has been feeling really sick - 6 weeks post last treatment, not able to eat, weak, BP very high, sometimes dizzy, unpredictable bowel issues - has not been going out of the house.  PetScan reported "moderate ascites, mild hypermetabolic uptake associated with ascitic fluid suggesting malignant ascites, no solid tumors or infiltration"

Asked Dr what teh SUV # is, as I have read that anything over 2.7 is considered malignant.  He was not able to provide that detail.  Dr. does not seem too concerned, however I read that this could indicate cancer of the peritoneum which sounds pretty serious.  Plus my Mom is having many symptoms of that.

She did have parencentesis yesterday and we are awaiting the results.

Can anyone offer any info that might be helpful?

Post Op Chemo

by monicawoler - March 10, 2017

My 82 yeal old Mom had 60% of the right lobe of her liver removed in December 2016.  There was a very large 4.4 inch bile duct cancerous tumor inside her liver.  Her margins were negative 2 mm surroundig the tumor.  It had and has not spread.  After 3 months they started her on Cisplatin and Gemzar.  The treatments are 1 time per week for 2 weeks and then one week off, for 6 months.  The doctor said that there is a high liklihood of the cancer coming back and that is why we are doing chemo.  I initally wanted her to do chemo.  After 3 treatments her WBC were so low that they stopped, they skipped one week and now she has started again.  She is very weak and has nausea and is cold all the time.  She is a fighter and she is tough and is willing to do anything the doctors tell her.  I have very mixed feelings about whether she should continue with chemo.  The surgeon said that he did not think chemo was a good idea, he said that it would only take the risk of it not coming back from 30% to 15%. I try not to pay too close attention to the %s since anyone could be the 1%.  Can anyone offer any thoughts?  I HATE CANCER!!!!!

Thank you so much for your post.  I was very worried about the fog, but it did clear after 4 days.  I am very hopeful and I know just one week after surgery is not time to count your chickens before they are hatched but I am very hopeful and believe in the Law of Attraction, so only positive thoughts right now.  Good luck to you and your Mom, I will keep you both in my prayers....

My otherwise healthy 81 year old mother was diagnosed with BDC on 12/9/17.  She had a total knee replacement in June abd while she recovered fabulously physically ffrom her knee surgery, since the surgery she lost 45 pounds, experinced extreme nausea and was so weak that she stopped going out of the house.  Prior she was swimming, walking, playing card, going to movies, out to dinner and was the director of her social club (80 members).  She kept going to her internist and begging him to find out what was wrong.  He perscribed Nexium, which helped initially (a few weeks).  Eventually he sent her to a GI doctor who performed an endoscopy - no findings.  She had a colonoscopy 14 months prior - clear.  3 months into this ordeal she said to her internist, I am afraid I have cancer, I think I am dying and he told her she did not have cancer. She begged to be sent to any other doctor to figure out what was wrong.  Her GI doctor ordered a CAT scan with showed a 14.4 cm tumor in her liver.  They told her is was not liver cancer and had metastasized and proceeded to take a chest xray and ordered her last fims from her mamogram.  Both came up negative.  They performed a needle biopsy 2 weeks later and said the markers showed that the Primary is upper GI.  They performed a PET scan and nothing lit up other than her liver.  Went to see an oncologist about 1 week later who informed us it is BDC and they could operate and resection her liver.  The surgeon said that he could remove 60% of the right lobe and that she would have a 60%-70% chance of it not returning.  He stated that he would not recomend chemo as that would make her real sick and would only reduce the recurrance rate from 30% to 15%. We are awaiting the pathology report.  They released her from the hospital 4 days after surgery and she appears to be doing GREAT.  No more nausea and her wound and drain sites are healing very nicely.  Can someone, anyone, please suggest what questions I should be asking the surgeon and oncologist at this point?  Thank you for any and all help that you can offer.  This is the 1st incidence of cancer in our entire family....Mon

Showing 1 - 10 of 5

Page 1 of 1

Loading...

About monicawoler

monicawoler has not shared any information about themselves. Send them a message to tell them you'd like to find out more about them or add them as a friend.

We care about your feedback. Let us know how we can improve your CancerCompass experience.